The Bees' Chapel

Via the Medieval Sourcebook comes this medieval tale told by Caesarius of Heisterbach, who was possibly born and certainly educated in Cologne and became a Cistercian monk. It comes from "The Dialogue," which was written between 1220 and 1235:

[Image: animals-bee.jpg]

It is somewhat pitiful that we men, for whose salvation this sacrament was instituted, should be so lukewarm about it; while brute beasts, worms, and reptiles recognize in it their Creator... A certain woman kept many bees, which throve not but died in great numbers; and, as she sought everywhere for a remedy, it was told her that if she placed the Lord's Body among them, this plague would soon cease. She therefore went to church and, making as though she would communicate, took the Lord's Body, which she took from her mouth as soon as the priest had departed, and laid it in one of her hives. Mark the marvelous power of God! These little worms, recognizing the might of their Creator, built their sweetest Guest, out of their sweetest honeycombs, a chapel of marvelous workmanship, wherein they set up a tiny altar of the same material and laid thereon this most holy Body: and God blessed their labors. In process of time the woman opened this hive, and was aware of the aforesaid chapel whereupon she hastened and confessed to the priest all that she had done and seen. Then he took with him his parishioners and came to the hive, where they drove away the bees that hovered round and buzzed in Praise of their creator; and, marveling at the little chapel with its walls and windows, roof and tower, door and altar, they brought back the Lord's Body with praise and glory to the church. For though God be marvelous in the saints, yet these His smallest creatures preached Him yet more marvelously.

Interesting story, and another reason to get rid of EMHC !

(02-12-2014, 10:21 PM)Gidge Wrote: Interesting story, and another reason to get rid of EMHC !

" which she took from her mouth as soon as the priest had departed"
"and confessed to the priest all that she had done"
I feel like I'm on CA forum, in that I have to defend against the proponents of the scourge of communion in the hand (yes, I am aware that it's an abuse that is allowed)-- my point is that EMHC make this type of abuse even easier.

While this legend is interesting, the profanation of the Blessed Sacrament is disturbing regardless of the way in which Holy Communion was received..  I suppose, if the legend is true, it's an example of God making good come out of evil.
(02-13-2014, 12:50 PM)Gidge Wrote: I feel like I'm on CA forum, in that I have to defend against the proponents of the scourge of communion in the hand (yes, I am aware that it's an abuse that is allowed)-- my point is that EMHC make this type of abuse even easier.

While this legend is interesting, the profanation of the Blessed Sacrament is disturbing regardless of the way in which Holy Communion was received..  I suppose, if the legend is true, it's an example of God making good come out of evil.

Yeah, for real. Triumph Guy, please read the rules of the forum. This is a trad forum and we don't want to have to argue our beliefs here. We have to do that EVERYWHERE else; it's not going to happen here.

I'm not arguing beliefs I'm arguing that this article doesn't make any reference to CITH.

And BTW I receive on the tongue.
(02-13-2014, 01:42 PM)triumphguy Wrote: I'm not arguing beliefs I'm arguing that this article doesn't make any reference to CITH.

And BTW I receive on the tongue.

It does indirectly, not in terms of how the woman acquired the Host, but because of how the bees are said to have honored it and because of the power He was said to have in this story. IOW, something so Holy shouldn't be manhandled by unconsecrated hands (or by bees, for that matter -- even though the bees are said to have recognized Him...)

But anyway, s'all good... It's just that we trads are always put in the position of having to defend ourselves all the time, and this forum is supposed to be a place where we don't have to do that. That's all :P

I agree that trads (and all Catholics)  need a place to safely talk about Tradition. And I think this forum does a very good job.

I'm feeling a little "bouncy" because I've been annoying atheists on the Guardian comment sections in the hope of speaking up for the Church.  There have been a few articles on Catholicism ("That" poll, abuse and abortion) in the last few days, and whereas dumb animals can have a sense of the holy so-called intelligent people shock with their ignorance and hatred - and stupidity
Pretty story, thanks for sharing Vox.