Movie: Son of God
Has anyone heard of this movie coming Feb 28.

tim

Never heard of it until now.

Our children want to see Disney's  "Frozen" but will not due to these eye opening review from N.C. Register :

http://www.ncregister.com/blog/steven-gr...ys-frozen/

http://www.ncregister.com/blog/steven-gr...s-frozen-1
So shallow, so protestant I just can't watch it.
I'm sure Joel Osteen will approve. I'm afraid I won't share his enthusiasm.
I guess when you're hoping for any kind of movie which is semi-okay this might be one. I wish someone in movies would get it, and make some decent "B" movies for consumption by all age groups. I want cowboy movies. I want serial kind of movies. I want the good guy to save the town from the evil banker, and the young widow to fall in love with him.  Mel are you listening ??  Call Tom Selleck, Sam Elliot, Sandra Bullock, Julia Roberts, Bruce Willis, and both Cussacks, get er done.

tim
(02-13-2014, 09:27 AM)Tim Wrote: Mel are you listening ?? 
Imagine the potential movies this man could make with his talent and all the $$$$$$ he made off the Passion of the Christ. I could envision a movie about Paul of Tarsus, beginning with the stoning of Stephen.  Or how about a re-make of El Cid with Caveziel as Rodrigo. Even better, how about a film about the Christian persecution under Diocletian?---I'm sure Mel Gibson could come up with a good script---maybe Anthony Hopkins in the role of Diocletian; Sean Austin and Mark Wahlberg as St. Timolaus and Procopius of Scythopoli; maybe Tomothy Dalton as Maximianus Herculius (though he may be a tad too old for the part..)  Maybe introduce new faces for the roles of Quiricus and Julietta, andJim Caveziel would make a great St. Marcellinus. A new face to play St. Philomena; and maybe Raymon Arroyo as a human torch--that way he could plug the movie on his show The World Over.
[Image: colosseum3.jpg]
Obama as Julian the Apostate hehehe !

tim
Call me crazy but I'd love to see a movie about St Bernard against the backdrop of all the drama of the 12th century; his squabbles with Peter Abelard, his jaw droppingly beautiful sermons, his preaching the second crusade etc. He's a character that's still larger than life after all these centuries and I've no doubt a great "B" film could be made about him.

I can't remember his name now but there was a man who wrote a bunch of young adult books on various saints--Sts. Benedict (Citadel of God I think the book was called), Francis Xavier,Augustine,Thomas Aquinas etc. Those books would be good movie potential.
(02-13-2014, 10:39 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: Call me crazy but I'd love to see a movie about St Bernard against the backdrop of all the drama of the 12th century; his squabbles with Peter Abelard, his jaw droppingly beautiful sermons, his preaching the second crusade etc. He's a character that's still larger than life after all these centuries and I've no doubt a great "B" film could be made about him.

I can't remember his name now but there was a man who wrote a bunch of young adult books on various saints--Sts. Benedict (Citadel of God I think the book was called), Francis Xavier,Augustine,Thomas Aquinas etc. Those books would be good movie potential.

I think you're referring to Louis de Wohl.

I don't think there could possibly be a movie about Our Lord that could begin to approach the level of artistry and intensity that Mr. Gibson came up with, but this movie, per the trailer, looks decent enough to me (and it isn't just focused on His Passion, so is a different type of movie from the get-go). Jesus is pretty smiley in the trailer, and that's not how I picture Him, really (though I don't picture Him as dour at all, nor as a sort of "alien-like" person as He was portrayed by that one actor who didn't blink). But if it sticks to the Gospels, isn't cheesy or anti-Catholic in any way, then I hope Catholics support it. The more Christian art out there, the better, I say.

All that said, I'd LOVE it if Mel were to make some more Catholic-themed movies! I'd love to see a great movie about SS Walburga and Hildegard, though those don't seem like "Mel movies." He could do the Crusades in a stupendous way, I bet. The Battle of Lepanto! Even a St. Joan of Arc flick (though that's sorta been done enough, really). I think the aforementioned idea of a movie about St. Benedict would be very timely and inspiring -- or other sorts of movies that show Christians operating in pagan lands, which pretty much describes our situation today. We -- at least I -- could definitely use the inspiration. Whew!