If you don’t feel in need of God’s mercy don’t go to Mass, says Pope
(02-13-2014, 10:09 AM)Asperges me Wrote: I wish he would shut up. It's a mortal sin to miss Mass without serious cause.  >:(

But if you don't believe you're a sinner in the first place, and you don't give a damn what the Church teaches already, you're not going to care about the precept of the Church that imposes Sunday obligation.

I know so many older Catholics, like in their 70's or 80's, who don't believe in Confession.  They sit in the pews, they put money in the basket and receive Holy Communion but they don't think they need confession because they're old.  My wife's older relatives are all this way.  I remember at a family gathering I mentioned going to confession and they all were saying "I've been a Catholic all my life, I don't need to go to confession."  "How much sin can I get into being this old? I'm too old to get into trouble."  "I don't think I have anything to confess."  They are not angels by any stretch of the imagination.  A lot of them also don't believe in the real presence, they're pro choice and they believe in gay marriage.  I ask them why they don't go to the Episcopal Church and they said that they go to the Catholic Church because they've been going for their whole lives and there aren't any Italians at the Episcopal Church.  It seems like theologically they are more in line with the Episcopal church but they still like a good Marian procession and St. Joseph's table.  It's more about being Italian than being Catholic.

Messages In This Thread
Re: If you don’t feel in need of God’s mercy don’t go to Mass, says Pope - by Chestertonian - 02-13-2014, 02:41 PM