Pope Francis: "[The Latin Mass] is rather a kind of fashion."
http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2014/02...young.html

IMPORTANT
Pope Francis on Feb. 14: "Old Mass? Just a kind of fashion!"

Yesterday (Friday, Feb. 14), Pope Francis held an audience with the Bishops of the Czech Republic who came to Rome for their ad limina visit.

In the visit, as it usually happens in such cases, other than the formal address, the Pope heard the questions and comments of the bishops. Archbishop Jan Graubner, of Olomouc, told the Czech section of Vatican Radio how it went:

[Abp. Jan Graubner speaks:] When we were discussing those who are fond of the ancient liturgy and wish to return to it, it was evident that the Pope speaks with great affection, attention, and sensitivity for all in order not to hurt anyone. However, he made a quite strong statement when he said that he understands when the old generation returns to what it experienced, but that he cannot understand the younger generation wishing to return to it. "When I search more thoroughly - the Pope said - I find that it is rather a kind of fashion [in Czech: 'móda', Italian 'moda']. And if it is a fashion, therefore it is a matter that does not need that much attention. It is just necessary to show some patience and kindness to people who are addicted to a certain fashion. But I consider greatly important to go deep into things, because if we do not go deep, no liturgical form, this or that one, can save us."
TLM is my drug!
Novus Ordo is fashion Holy Father! I'm a NO attendee, but honestly the TLM is very old...NO is brand new. If anyone is making a fashion statement it is those who continuously force the NO. It's just nice to see the NO is going to die out with the generation that continuously fostered it.
(02-15-2014, 01:29 PM)Oatmeal Wrote: It is just necessary to show some patience and kindness to people who are addicted to a certain fashion.

Well that sounded kind of rude LOL But I'm sure he meant well. Of course he's right about going deeper. Liturgical form is important along with beautiful architecture but it won't save the world. It didn't save Europe. All those great cathedrals and basilicas are museums now. You can't blame that on the Novus Ordo. I think the French revolution and two world wars devastated the faith.
I shall also cling to my 'addiction' to the TLM. Yes, to its reverence and holiness and the beautiful prayers, to the lack of liturgical abuse, to the silence and reverence of those who attend, etc.

What about the neo-cat liturgy?  Isn't that where you can sit around and pass the chalice?  Is that a 'fashion'? What about a clown mass?  What about masses that I have attended where the priest calls the little children up to him in the middle of mass to give him a 'high five'? What about the army of women gathering around the altar as 'Eucharistic ministers'?  What about every person going to Communion and three people going to confession in the half an hour a week it is offered?

I am sorry but this Holy Father continues to denigrate the Vetus Ordo, the Mass of the Saints, and those who love that liturgy and are trying to be faithful and holy Catholics.  No interviews given to them!  No, but to atheists.

I pray for the HOLY needs and HOLY intentions of the Holy Father daily and for his faithfulness and orthodoxy.
This Pope is the first one ordained a priest after Vatican II. He was spiritually nursed and trained on the Minimalist Mass. He was also brought up as a South American Jesuit, post-1930s. We can hardly expect him to have all that much appreciation for the Full Mass, given circumstances.

I do wish he'd stop giving his informal opinions in this fashion. He really should know how the media twists them, to the discrediting of Christ.
This Pope was formed by the model of Pedro Arrupe's Jesuits in the continent and era of Marxist liberation theology, what do you expect? Somehow I suppose God wants this man to sit in the chair of St Peter but His inscrutable reasons are beyond me. All we can do is pray, find havens of sanity and await the day we get a Pope that loves and lives the Traditon, perhaps a Pope taken from one of the traditional orders like the FSSP or ICK.
(02-15-2014, 03:02 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: This Pope was formed by the model of Pedro Arrupe's Jesuits in the continent and era of Marxist liberation theology, what do you expect? Somehow I suppose God wants this man to sit in the chair of St Peter but His inscrutable reasons are beyond me. All we can do is pray, find havens of sanity and await the day we get a Pope that loves and lives the Traditon, perhaps a Pope taken from one of the traditional orders like the FSSP or ICK.
When was the last time a simple priest was elected pope? There aren't even bishops from any of the Ecclesia Dei groups, so it could be awhile…
Two things, First this is another "The Pope said" but no actual quotation from His Holiness. So we don't know exactly what the Pope said, His Excellency could have been paraphrasing to his own designs, we don't know. Secondly if this is accurate to what the Holy Father said "...therefore it is a matter that does not need that much attention.", then I think we can sigh a bit a relief. that it is as we suspected, that the Holy Father really has no interest in the liturgy one way or an other and he'll leave the Trad movement alone, we probably can't hope for a Papal TLM anytime soon, but I doubt Summorum Pontificum, which he has spoken about in good terms before, isn't going to be revoked anytime soon. So I think we can relax and rather then whine at every utterance and hearsay coming from the Vatican, we should work on producing those good fruits that we keep claiming the traditional Liturgy brings forth.
(02-15-2014, 04:39 PM)Juanthetuba Wrote: Two things, First this is another "The Pope said" but no actual quotation from His Holiness.
This is the quotation:
(02-15-2014, 01:29 PM)Oatmeal Wrote: "When I search more thoroughly - the Pope said - I find that it is rather a kind of fashion [in Czech: 'móda', Italian 'moda']. And if it is a fashion, therefore it is a matter that does not need that much attention. It is just necessary to show some patience and kindness to people who are addicted to a certain fashion. But I consider greatly important to go deep into things, because if we do not go deep, no liturgical form, this or that one, can save us."[/b]