Pope Francis: "[The Latin Mass] is rather a kind of fashion."
[quote='RedCaves' pid='1232711' dateline='1392578978']
Here's a post from CAF that annoyed the heck out of me:

Once again I am stunned and impressed by the wisdom, insight and holiness of our Pope.

To me what he is saying is that living our religion has much more to it than preferring an older form of the liturgy and when we place emphasis on that rather than on spreading Jesus's message and living according to his word, we are following a fad.

HUH!?

I think the poster over there doesn't understand why Traditional Catholics prefer the older form of liturgy over the novus ordo. It's more than a pretty liturgy to Trads but it is also clearer expression of the Catholic faith doctrinaly and theologically. By worshiping at the older form of liturgy it does indeed give you the graces necessary to spread Jesus's message and live according to his word.
Then I suppose vernacular liturgies are a kind of fashion too. He really knows little of Latin Mass communities, and this comes off as rude.
I hope I am misinterpreting something.

C.
(02-15-2014, 10:39 PM)maldon Wrote: Mons. Marini looks better dressed than all of them.

By the way that first pic of yours is beautiful. What's its origin?

Agree. The first picture is sooo beautiful. Poor Mons. Marini, I feel for him.
(02-16-2014, 09:26 PM)DeoGratias72 Wrote:
(02-15-2014, 10:39 PM)maldon Wrote: Mons. Marini looks better dressed than all of them.

By the way that first pic of yours is beautiful. What's its origin?

Agree. The first picture is sooo beautiful. Poor Mons. Marini, I feel for him.

Ditto.  His cross is probably a heavy one, but I'm sure many souls are being helped thanks to him.
(02-15-2014, 01:29 PM)Oatmeal Wrote: http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2014/02...young.html

IMPORTANT
Pope Francis on Feb. 14: "Old Mass? Just a kind of fashion!"

Yesterday (Friday, Feb. 14), Pope Francis held an audience with the Bishops of the Czech Republic who came to Rome for their ad limina visit.

In the visit, as it usually happens in such cases, other than the formal address, the Pope heard the questions and comments of the bishops. Archbishop Jan Graubner, of Olomouc, told the Czech section of Vatican Radio how it went:

[Abp. Jan Graubner speaks:] When we were discussing those who are fond of the ancient liturgy and wish to return to it, it was evident that the Pope speaks with great affection, attention, and sensitivity for all in order not to hurt anyone. However, he made a quite strong statement when he said that he understands when the old generation returns to what it experienced, but that he cannot understand the younger generation wishing to return to it. "When I search more thoroughly - the Pope said - I find that it is rather a kind of fashion [in Czech: 'móda', Italian 'moda']. And if it is a fashion, therefore it is a matter that does not need that much attention. It is just necessary to show some patience and kindness to people who are addicted to a certain fashion. But I consider greatly important to go deep into things, because if we do not go deep, no liturgical form, this or that one, can save us."

:eyeroll: 

More like, our patrimony was stolen and replaced by a lame imitation!  How dare we want a return to what was stolen from us!?!???

Don't we know what is good for us?  Pat us on the head Holy Father  :awww: we are obviously just trying to be fashionable.  :eyeroll: :eyeroll: :eyeroll:

:doh:
(02-15-2014, 10:36 PM)Oatmeal Wrote: [size=10pt]So this is out of style:[/size]

:w2go: :pray:

[Image: Missa_tridentina_002.jpg]

But this isn't:

[Image: Lampedusa3.jpg?itok=z2TVpqPM]

:puke:
Got it.
This is too funny!!!! :LOL: I've been suspended for this:
========================================

Suspended

Religion: traditional catholic
Default Re: TLM: 'Just a kind of fashion'?
Spin Doctor central here on CAF! You guys are good!!! Can you make my diaper pail smell like roses?
====================================

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now where will I go to see Tradition Catholic view points! :helpsmiley: And they were so fashionable there too!!!! :wench:
The Holy father is simply reminding people that religiosity is not the same thing as holiness, and he's getting to the heart of  what it means to be a true disciple of Christ---and it has nothing to do with religious liturgies. Jesus made it clear who His true disciples are. Knowing the finer points of theological truths and demanding a restoration of a traditional liturgy has nothing to do with being a genuine disciple of Jesus Christ. It is very easy to be religious; and it is very easy to say prayers; it also very easy to be attracted to supernatural manifestations, to have a fascination for private revelation and to feel warm and fuzzy with religious practices. But  all that amounts to NOTHING if the heart is not changing.

Anyone can talk about theology all day long. Anyone can discuss the liturgy and prefer one over another; but it means NOTHING if such a person is not uprooting vices, letting go of resentments, renouncing un-forgiveness, and detaching one's self of the myriad of things or affections which take the place of God in one's heart---and it's easy to fool one's self into believing that one has God as the center of one's life just because one practices some sort of pious religiosity. It's quite another thing to actually have God as the center of one's life.

Pope Francis has been addressing this truth since his election as pope. The danger with confusing religiosity with holiness is that it masks all sorts of vices and attachments of the human heart. Thus Jesus described such people when He said: "Well did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written: This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me. And in vain do they worship me, teaching doctrines and precepts of men.  For leaving the commandment of God, you hold the tradition of men, the washing of pots and of cups: and many other things you do like to these. And he said to them: Well do you make void the commandment of God, that you may keep your own tradition."

Following Christ means working daily on a transformation of heart through dying to ourselves, by carrying our crosses to a crucifixion and death for the sake of others. That is in essence of being a true follower of Christ. Thus everyone has vices and weaknesses and attachment to things, attachment to money, attachment to people---thing which often come before our love for God. If the heart is not changing, and it is the same heart that it was yesterday, or two weeks ago, or 10 years ago, then we are fooling ourselves, wasting our time, and building up a very long and painful purgatory which we will be dependent upon others to help us out.  It is easy to compartmentalize religious practices and devotions and and think it is holiness; if the heart is not changing, we are merely dressing up vanity and self interests with pious practices which makes us feel good..  Thus the pope explained:  "I consider greatly important to go deep into things, because if we do not go deep, no liturgical form, this or that one, can save us."
[Image: x4vw.jpg]
Here's another annoying quote from that CAF thread:

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: TLM: 'Just a kind of fashion'?
I think our bickering over which form of the Mass is "better" / "attractive" or which one "fits better with our spirituality" proves Pope Francis' point. Is not fashion treated the same way? When we make a conscious decision to choose which form of the Mass we will attend, it becomes like fashion in which we choose what we want to wear.
============================================================

What a minute.....The Pope was the one who started all this fashion talk in the first place! What prompted him to say such a thing about the TLM? It wasn't a conversation about what mass is "better". It was a simple question;' Why are young people attracted to it' The Holy Father is the one that started with the fashion talk, not Traditionalist. I'm sorry, but the Holy Father is the one that reduced our desire for reverence, with nothing more then trying to be fashionable!

They seem offended that young people would prefer one form over the other.  That's what it all comes down to.
There ARE some "fad trads" out there, though. :/