Is it wrong to have an online auction end on Sunday?
I use eBay to sell used clothes that I find in thrift stores as a hobby and as additional income. My favorite auction style is to list the item Thursday night and do a 10-day auction so it ends the following Sunday night. This allows the item to be displayed for two full weekends, the busiest time for online auctions. Does this violate the prohibition from doing unnecessary work or buying and selling items on Sunday and therefore constitute as sin?
Double post
(02-17-2014, 01:48 AM)ArturoOrtiz Wrote:
(02-16-2014, 07:51 PM)Hamburglar Wrote: I use eBay to sell used clothes that I find in thrift stores as a hobby and as additional income. My favorite auction style is to list the item Thursday night and do a 10-day auction so it ends the following Sunday night. This allows the item to be displayed for two full weekends, the busiest time for online auctions. Does this violate the prohibition from doing unnecessary work or buying and selling items on Sunday and therefore constitute as sin?

Well I would end the auction in another day but I would not think it to be a mortal sin. Hopecully someone more knowledgable can answet you. The thing only thing I cod say is that it encourages peoplmw to buy on Sunday.

As a matter of fact I need to buy a graphing calculator for college. I might have to buy it today at night and save fifty dollars. Its either than or spend about $100
Thank you. Can anyone else chime in? When I have an auction end on Sunday, I don't do any work that is involved with shipping the item until Monday morning. Also, even if I have the item end on another day, the item will still be available for people to look at and place bids on Sunday, and there is no way around that.
i wouldn't say so, you aren't doing any physical or servile work, the interwebs is doing all the work.  Just remember too that the Sabbath was made for the man, not the man for the Sabbath, as long as it doesn't become an obsession it should be fine.