Pope Francis may float compromise on divorce - John L Allen
(02-18-2014, 08:43 PM)Skarga Wrote:
(02-18-2014, 05:51 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: The Church has high standards. We are all called to perfection. But why is it so hard to understand that there is an innate human need to loved and be loved; that neither the church's rulebooks or divorce papers can put an end to that.

I hope they DO make annulments easier, because I see no other hope for these people.

My grandparents grew up in a Catholic country, divorce was on par with being a homosexual or a sheep shagger. It was unthinkable, even in communist times. I almost suffocated from laughter after reading that a person named "Strict Catholic Girl" wants the Church to legalize divorce whoops oh I mean "annulments" (wink wink nudge nudge). What reality am I living in? I really think I'm losing my mind. I support a true pastoral solution to the divorce problem, but not one where the Church compromises the teachings of the New Testament.

Marriage isn't about "feelings" or some other sensual nonsense. It's about self-sacrifice. Catholics are supposed be crucified with Christ, they're not supposed to be turning stones into bread. http://www.chastitysf.com/sexuality.htm

If the Church sanctifies divorce then I can tell you what will happen next, the sanctification of sodomy followed by pedophilia. In the year 2064 we'll have FE threads like:

Quote:Posted by: UltraOrthodoxTraditionalCatholicTransgirl

I saw men, grown men, big burly men, sit in chairs and sob. They thought their lives were over. In time, the men and prepubescent boys started pairing off. Father was furious. He broke the support group, but those people went off and become couples anyway. They remarried civilly or by the Fundamental Baptist pastor down the street. The ones I knew are still married, after these thirty or forty years, and they are still estranged from the church.

Posted on: Friday 1st February 2064

You may think I'm exaggerating but I'm not. Divorce/remarriage, as I said before, was unthinkable only 50 years ago in Poland, even when the communists allowed it. The stigma of being a divorcee was equivalent to what a modern Catholic feels when he sees a pederast or a LGBT person. The fact that there are people, on a traditional Catholic forum of all places, that are sympathetic to a heinous crime against nature, only proves one thing, things change and there is nothing you can do about it. The road from divorce/contraception leads to sex without boundaries. At this rate we'll be celebrating Mass at Sts. Aliester Crowley and Martin Luther Cathedral in a hundred years, "do what thou wilt" will be the whole of the canon law.

Allowing a "remarried" Catholic to receive Holy Communion is like telling an armless man to swim across the ocean

Your mockery is not appreciated. First, I should mock your comparing grown men and women pairing off (which is totally natural and that was my point) with men going off with little boys, which is not natural and has absolutely nothing to do with this subject. Second, I said nothing about letting divorced and remarried receive Holy Communion. As for annulments, yeah.. nudge nudge wink wink. They are "Catholic divorces" anyway, so what's the big deal. This "Strict" Catholic Girl  is giving up the Catholic religion. I hope you do suffocate, but not from laughter. Pardon my lack of charity.
(02-18-2014, 07:28 PM)CaptCrunch73 Wrote:
(02-18-2014, 05:51 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: I don't know what the solution is, though. I'm a hopeless realist. That's always been my problem.

Back in the 1970s, when divorce was on the climb even among Catholics, our parish priest started a support group for "Separated & Divorced Catholics." Some of these people thought they were barred from Holy Communion simply because they were divorced. None of them were remarried. As for annulments, nobody considered it. Back then the annulment process was considered too lengthy, too expensive, and only people like the Sinatras and the Kennedys got one- or that was the impression. 

Most if not all of the folks in the group were the victims of divorce, the spurned ones. They never wanted it.  I saw men, grown men, big burly men, sit in their chairs and sob. They thought their lives were over. In time, the men and women started to pair off. Father was furious. He broke up the support group, but those people went off and became couples anyway. They remarried civilly or by the Lutheran pastor down the street. The ones I knew are still married, after these thirty or forty years, and they are still estranged from the church.

The Church has high standards. We are all called to perfection. But why is it so hard to understand that there is an innate human need to loved and be loved; that neither the church's rulebooks or divorce papers can put an end to that.

I hope they DO make annulments easier, because I see no other hope for these people.

But what does God want, and I speak as a spurned one?

Perhaps God is calling some of us to live with this, just as a person born with same sex attraction is called to live a chaste life. I don't know the answer but just thinking out loud...

Barnhardt had a pretty good article on this....

"The only thing I can say to these men (and also women to whom this happens) is to unite your marital sufferings to Our Lord and Divine Spouse, abandoned, denied and persecuted in His Sorrowful Passion.  God Almighty has been through exactly the same thing that you are going through, only worse, and on a far bigger scale.  There is nothing that could ever be of greater consolation than that truth, which is all a derivative function of the Incarnation, which we continue to celebrate in these 40 days of Christmas."

http://www.barnhardt.biz/2014/01/17/833/

This sounds hard
(02-19-2014, 11:01 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: Your mockery is not appreciated. First, I should mock your comparing grown men and women pairing off (which is totally natural and that was my point) with men going off with little boys, which is not natural and has absolutely nothing to do with this subject. Second, I said nothing about letting divorced and remarried receive Holy Communion. As for annulments, yeah.. nudge nudge wink wink. They are "Catholic divorces" anyway, so what's the big deal. This "Strict" Catholic Girl  is giving up the Catholic religion. I hope you do suffocate, but not from laughter. Pardon my lack of charity.

I'm with you, SCG..
The mockery is not called for. If you were 'called' to the single life after being spurned, then that is your cross to bear. I was called to marriage and that was my cross to bear until being spurned.
I followed the rules put forth by the church and was granted an anullment. Got re-married following the rules and have more kids now...following the rules. My wife converted. More catholics!! My calling.

The church may very well hand out anullments like halloween candy these days...I don't know. I do know that contracting marriage is serious and not to be entered into if there is even the slightest possibility that both parties are not properly instructed and have given up the ways of youth. Being the victim of divorce may be your cross, Skarga. Being alone and bitter is your choice.

(02-19-2014, 11:01 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: Your mockery is not appreciated. First, I should mock your comparing grown men and women pairing off (which is totally natural and that was my point) with men going off with little boys, which is not natural and has absolutely nothing to do with this subject. Second, I said nothing about letting divorced and remarried receive Holy Communion. As for annulments, yeah.. nudge nudge wink wink. They are "Catholic divorces" anyway, so what's the big deal. This "Strict" Catholic Girl  is giving up the Catholic religion. I hope you do suffocate, but not from laughter. Pardon my lack of charity.

Maybe I missed something but you seem really upset? As much as there are times I'd like to have a frank sit down convo with the Pope(s) past and present I'm not ready to check my Catholic identity. That's giving in and I prefer to be a thorn in one's side (no pun intended). I think the issue of Communion is important and there is something I haven't seen posted here that we should consider.

I was having a conversation with a priest once and he said that this whole "taking Communion unworthily" was actually a heresy that started in the 1700's. He said prior to that people received no matter what as long as they weren't advocating for sin. I never heard that before so I'm not sure if its true. I mean is anyone REALLY worthy of Christ? I thought the whole point of Communion was to make you worthy. Anyways I was curious if this was true or not or if anyone has heard about it.
I had to come back to get something off my chest. I'm speaking to Skarga now. First, I know what it’s like to grow up in a Catholic neighborhood, and I remember when divorce was a stigma because when my own parents got one I thought I would die of both heartbreak and shame. However, even us old timers wouldn’t compare divorced people to “sheep shaggers” as you did, and even the Bible makes a distinction between regular fornicators and sexual perverts. I realize that what I typed was controversial, but who would have thought I was opening the way to the Church of St. Alister Crowley! I expected to be taken seriously. But you answered in a spirit of mockery. I said that I didn’t know what the solution was. I admit the “easier annulments” thing was over the top, written really in a fit of exasperation because of the many divorced people in my family, including myself (although I don't have an issue with Holy Communion because my marriage was never valid to begin with - plus at my age I'm very happy being chaste and single thank you very much). But I would really like to know the “pastoral advice” from someone who thinks divorce opens the door to accepting pedophilia and Satanism. Pray tell me.
(02-19-2014, 03:59 PM)divinesilence80 Wrote: I was having a conversation with a priest once and he said that this whole "taking Communion unworthily" was actually a heresy that started in the 1700's. He said prior to that people received no matter what as long as they weren't advocating for sin. I never heard that before so I'm not sure if its true. I mean is anyone REALLY worthy of Christ? I thought the whole point of Communion was to make you worthy. Anyways I was curious if this was true or not or if anyone has heard about it.

That's very interesting. I'd like to know too.
(02-19-2014, 11:51 AM)Armor of Light Wrote:

I'm with you, SCG..
The mockery is not called for. If you were 'called' to the single life after being spurned, then that is your cross to bear. I was called to marriage and that was my cross to bear until being spurned.
I followed the rules put forth by the church and was granted an anullment. Got re-married following the rules and have more kids now...following the rules. My wife converted. More catholics!! My calling.

The church may very well hand out anullments like halloween candy these days...I don't know. I do know that contracting marriage is serious and not to be entered into if there is even the slightest possibility that both parties are not properly instructed and have given up the ways of youth. Being the victim of divorce may be your cross, Skarga. Being alone and bitter is your choice.

Thank you.
(02-19-2014, 03:59 PM)divinesilence80 Wrote: I was having a conversation with a priest once and he said that this whole "taking Communion unworthily" was actually a heresy that started in the 1700's.

the following  was written prior to the 1700's.

1 corinthians 11:27 Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be answerable for the body and blood of the Lord. 28 Examine yourselves, and only then eat of the bread and drink of the cup.
Skarga,

I think you owe StrictCatholicGirl an apology for your personal insults. I don't care who is right or wrong on the issue. I just don't think people should be allowed to address others in this way. So I think you should apologize.

StrictCatholicGirl. Thank you for posting your thoughts. Please post again!
This site - which