Pope Francis may float compromise on divorce - John L Allen

Good post. I'm only a catechumen right now (I'm getting a conditional baptism) but in my situation I already have the "old" mindset. I have an apostate husband that is bent on finding a hot younger woman and bringing her home. I told him I'm not leaving. I'm not divorcing him. I don't approve nor ever will of his adultery. He'll have to leave me/divorce me and even then I won't remarry. He's my husband for life whether he likes it or not/acknowledges it or not. (whether I like it or not sometimes). I can handle being left and wounded I'm basically that now just emotionally. But just because he leaves his vows in the dirt doesn't mean I have to or should. I made my vows to him and God and I meant it. Just because I'm left alone and hurt doesn't give me the right to seek solace in the arms of another man. I have my children and my church (yay for Easter!) I can live without sex and emotional romantic attachments.

Too many people have this "well Jane/John were innocent/abandoned and they needed love and affection too so they remarried they should be able to receive Christ in the Eucharist." Just because they were wronged doesn't give them the right to sin against what Christ commanded and receive Him in the Eucharist unworthily. What the person is really saying is "I know God's there and I could look to him for all the love and support I didn't get from this jerk of a spouse that dumped me...but I choose to find another mortal being to get my love from including sex (adultery) even if it means I damn my soul to hell. How mean of you to not let me." Boo frigg'n hoo...get a grip and grow up, be an adult stop being a child.
[/quote]

Wow, what an awesome post! I commend you for your absolute dedication to Christ, if only others had your vision. God bless you and I pray others will learn from you.

C.
There was a bishop on Raymond Arroyo last night talking about this upcoming synod. He said not to worry; that the “pastoral response” is not to compromise the truth. The pastoral solution, he said, will be to help divorced and remarried people who are denied annulments to “bear their cross.” My guess is that means the parish priest, or somebody, will help them live like “brother and sister” (an expression I loathe). Or maybe they should just break up. I mean, should they be chaste alone? Or chaste together? Which is better? Better to get used to the small church Pope Benedict spoke about. Parish membership, mass attendance, baptisms and Catholic weddings are down, down, down and will continue to plummet. There can be no “pastoral solution” when there is no wiggle room. The Church is unbending. As I said, I don’t know what the solution is.
(02-21-2014, 09:59 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: There was a bishop on Raymond Arroyo last night talking about this upcoming synod. He said not to worry; that the “pastoral response” is not to compromise the truth. The pastoral solution, he said, will be to help divorced and remarried people who are denied annulments to “bear their cross.” My guess is that means the parish priest, or somebody, will help them live like “brother and sister” (an expression I loathe). Or maybe they should just break up. I mean, should they be chaste alone? Or chaste together? Which is better? Better to get used to the small church Pope Benedict spoke about. Parish membership, mass attendance, baptisms and Catholic weddings are down, down, down and will continue to plummet. There can be no “pastoral solution” when there is no wiggle room. The Church is unbending. As I said, I don’t know what the solution is.

Not sure what the right or wrong answer is either, in fact, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. Some ruminations are

For each person in this state in life to discern God's will for them. And that's where the parish priest should help. Some people may be called to be chaste, others may be called to get an annulment and remarry. I don't think there's a one size fits all solution but the steps should be to discern God's will and then ask God for the faith and perseverance to live that will.

https://www.catholicculture.org/culture/...ecnum=9745
(02-21-2014, 10:43 AM)CaptCrunch73 Wrote: Not sure what the right or wrong answer is either, in fact, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. Some ruminations are

For each person in this state in life to discern God's will for them. And that's where the parish priest should help. Some people may be called to be chaste, others may be called to get an annulment and remarry. I don't think there's a one size fits all solution but the steps should be to discern God's will and then ask God for the faith and perseverance to live that will.

https://www.catholicculture.org/culture/...ecnum=9745

Thanks for the link to the article! I agree that many issues in life are not one-size-fits-all. Even theologians have disagreements, though, about which issues those are. The bishops claim their "hands are tied" regarding divorce and remarriage because Jesus was so clear about divorce and remarriage. Of course Jesus says nothing about annulments, yet the bishops of the church found a way to untie their hands on that one. It's called the privilege of binding and losing..

I better quit now.
From what I know and have heard orthodox Catholic priests and Bishops say this bell can not be unrung. That doesn't mean I have mo sympathy. We are in a sea of sexual misbehavior and misadventure, chock full of grievous sins, I'd rather not go into details, but my family I believe beats Lisa's walking away. Besides the sexual stuff, I believe mine is hounded by a demon for drug addiction and suicide. Then comes along old me and mentions this is sin and I'm black balled for another year
I came to the realization that my best attack was to consecrate myself to the Sacred Heart and Immaculate Heart, hoping for my family to repent.

tim
(02-21-2014, 09:59 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: There was a bishop on Raymond Arroyo last night talking about this upcoming synod. He said not to worry; that the “pastoral response” is not to compromise the truth. The pastoral solution, he said, will be to help divorced and remarried people who are denied annulments to “bear their cross.” My guess is that means the parish priest, or somebody, will help them live like “brother and sister” (an expression I loathe). Or maybe they should just break up. I mean, should they be chaste alone? Or chaste together? Which is better? Better to get used to the small church Pope Benedict spoke about. Parish membership, mass attendance, baptisms and Catholic weddings are down, down, down and will continue to plummet. There can be no “pastoral solution” when there is no wiggle room. The Church is unbending. As I said, I don’t know what the solution is.

Who was the Bishop?

I'm trying to keep track of who in the hierarchy has said the teaching won't change. So far I have: Card Muller, Card O'Malley, Card Re, Card Brandmuller and Card Meisner (who also said Francis privately agreed with him).

I want to add to my list for my own piece of mind...
(02-21-2014, 06:46 PM)McCall1981 Wrote: Who was the Bishop?

I can't remember, It might have been a cardinal. I looked on the EWTN website but the "archives" for that show wasn't published yet. It was the show that aired Thursday, February 20th. Raymond Arroyo, "The World Over"
(02-17-2014, 08:55 PM)Cetil Wrote: Cardinal O'Malley gave a recent interview in which  he said he really didn't think it would be possible for the divorced and remarried to receive communion.
He thought it would be hard to rationalize such a position, but that didn't seem to stop him from trying to.
(02-21-2014, 06:46 PM)McCall1981 Wrote: Who was the Bishop?

I'm trying to keep track of who in the hierarchy has said the teaching won't change. So far I have: Card Muller, Card O'Malley, Card Re, Card Brandmuller and Card Meisner (who also said Francis privately agreed with him).

I want to add to my list for my own piece of mind...

I listened to a rebroadcast and the bishop is Robert Morlino of Madison, Wisconsin.