National Catholic Register Deletes Article Urging Pope to Reconcile With SSPX
(02-28-2014, 06:13 PM)Old Salt Wrote:
(02-28-2014, 05:10 PM)PompousMaximus Wrote:
(02-28-2014, 03:18 PM)Old Salt Wrote:
(02-26-2014, 12:25 AM)loggats Wrote:
(02-26-2014, 12:22 AM)ThomasTheDoubter Wrote: I can't understand why Neo-Catholics hate traditional Catholicism so much. They're always firing accusations of schism, anti-Semitism or something else. Suggest that there is something wrong with communion in the hand and they get very upset.

Probably because there's ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH IT! Gah! There's something wrong when a Catholic denies the True Presence. There is nothing wrong with a Catholic receiving in the hand standing up, saying "Amen," and consuming the host.
Forgive me if my sarcasm meter has run low, but are you serious???!!!

Your meter is spot on.

Cardinal Arinze gets it right.

Just because the Church has given an indult for this practice in many places, does not make it right.

whose got two thumbs and is the choir that you are preaching at?

this guy
(02-26-2014, 12:22 AM)ThomasTheDoubter Wrote: I can't understand why Neo-Catholics hate traditional Catholicism so much. They're always firing accusations of schism, anti-Semitism or something else. Suggest that there is something wrong with communion in the hand and they get very upset.

Probably because there's ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH IT! Gah! There's something wrong when a Catholic denies the True Presence. There is nothing wrong with a Catholic receiving in the hand standing up, saying "Amen," and consuming the host.

I'd call that a stunning lack of authentic Catholic sense.

For starters, why do you suppose that Communion on the tongue was the norm in the Church going back to Apostolic times? 

What do you make of the fact that it was the Arians that first introduced the disrespectful novelty of communion in the hand?

Even if you would doubt the evidence of the early Church - as, of course, many now do - it is plainly obvious that receiving the Lord on the tongue on one's knees was the norm for the vast majority of the existence of the Church.

Even if it were true that the early Church practiced CitH, that is justification for nothing as antiquarianism is a condemned philosophy.

Why do you suppose that even John Paul II said this: “To touch the sacred species and to distribute them with their own hands is a privilege of the ordained"?

Proper reverence for Our Blessed Lord in the Eucharist makes one want to fall on his knees in supplication.  Where this instinct is absent there is a lack of proper understanding and reverence.  To intentionally foster such things by approving and forcing upon the faithful such novelties is a grave matter indeed.
(02-26-2014, 07:24 AM)CaptCrunch73 Wrote: "If the Eucharist is God, then why are we touching Him? Moses could not come within ten feet of the burning bush without taking off his shoes; the haemorrhaging woman crawled up to Jesus and barely grazed the hem of His garment; the saints have extolled the utter profundity of receiving the Eucharist. In the Eucharist, the mysticism, the beauty, the awesomeness of God are all present. We must, we absolutely must, remember this when we approach Him at Mass. We should never forget that we owe everything to Him, and if we do not receive Him respectfully out of sheer reverence, then we should at least do so out of gratitude."

This one bears repeating.
(02-26-2014, 11:11 AM)SaintSebastian Wrote: The reason the SSPX is treated differently, is their leaders have been personally involved in the practical separation and they are actively going around condemning the Church (although, they actually seem to be doing that a lot less lately, at least publically).  With the other groups, you have centuries old divisions in which the current separated members were not personally involved.  These groups have also expressed an openness to work for unity and generally have not simply said "we will never compromise, Rome must convert to the true faith, etc." like the SSPX have.

Well, this post demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of the SSPX.  The SSPX leaders do not criticize the Church, which they love with all their hearts, but modernist churchmen.

One either understands the crisis or one does not, and one cannot understand the Society without understanding the crisis.
(02-26-2014, 01:28 PM)iona_scribe Wrote: Yeah, what the heck? This isn't something that would even have been debated on here when I started posting 4 years ago except as an extreme minority position.

I've found myself pining lately for the combative Feeneyists calling me names rather than the outright liberals as well... ;)
Anyone listening to anything Voris' org has to say about traditionalists please read this (and further commentary from Mr. Verrecchio):

http://www.harvestingthefruit.com/a-shem...mment-8377
There is so much misconception about the SSPX, I really can't help but have some sympathy for them. They are constantly lumped as rad-trads and sedevacantists. Nothing could be further from the truth. Catholic Answers Radio certainly does not help with them lumping SSPX along with SSPV and HFM
(03-01-2014, 12:59 PM)austenbosten Wrote: There is so much misconception about the SSPX, I really can't help but have some sympathy for them. They are constantly lumped as rad-trads and sedevacantists. Nothing could be further from the truth. Catholic Answers Radio certainly does not help with them lumping SSPX along with SSPV and HFM

A wise man said to me about the SSPX, when I was contemplating attending Society Masses for the first time a bit over a year ago, "They are on the cross."  Yes, they are.  They are on the cross and they will stay there as long as they have to.
(02-28-2014, 06:14 PM)PompousMaximus Wrote:
(02-28-2014, 06:13 PM)Old Salt Wrote:
(02-28-2014, 05:10 PM)PompousMaximus Wrote:
(02-28-2014, 03:18 PM)Old Salt Wrote:

Forgive me if my sarcasm meter has run low, but are you serious???!!!

Your meter is spot on.

Cardinal Arinze gets it right.

Just because the Church has given an indult for this practice in many places, does not make it right.

whose got two thumbs and is the choir that you are preaching at?

this guy
I was addressing 'loggats" who apparently thinks everything canonically permitted is right.