The Experiences of Homosexual Trads
(02-26-2014, 11:41 PM)Melkite Wrote:
(02-26-2014, 10:57 PM)A Catholic Thinker Wrote:
(02-26-2014, 09:49 PM)Melkite Wrote: For crying out loud people!  There is NO SUCH THING as an objective mortal sin!  All mortal sin is subjective.

Objective grave matter then - a sin that, if committed with consent of the will and knowledge, is mortal. 

This is just semantics.

It's not just semantics, it's a very important distinction.  Objective grave matter, objective serious sin is fine.  As you said, mortal sin requires will, knowledge and consent.  That is something only a person's confessor can determine, and that point deserves the strongest attention.  Too many people throw around the term 'mortal sin' as if any old serious sin is mortal.  By saying a sin is generally mortal, you cas into hell untold numbers of people whom you don't know and of whose circumstances you are not aware.  It is a very serious scandal to presume to determine another person is cut off from God if it is not your vocation to do so.  I respectfully encourage you to consider this during this Lent.

No, actually, it IS semantic.  Since I qualified "mortal sin" with "objective", I clearly did *not* accuse anyone of any spiritual state - much less "cast them into Hell"!

I respectfully encourage you to cease your subjective judgement of Catholics who simply use the terminology the Church typically has.

And perhaps to consider, for a change, the rights of God, instead of those of man, to loosely paraphrase Pius IX.

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Experiences of Homosexual Trads - by The Catholic Thinker - 02-27-2014, 12:02 AM