The Experiences of Homosexual Trads
(02-27-2014, 01:19 AM)Melkite Wrote:
(02-27-2014, 12:44 AM)A Catholic Thinker Wrote: If you google the phrase "objective mortal sin" you will see that all kinds of Catholics use it.  Here is one example:

http://www.catholicplanet.net/forum/show...php?t=2400

I already acknowledged that, yes, I agree it is a misnomer, given that the qualifier "mortal" more or less implies the subjective - so to include "objective" in the same qualifier list is not sensible.

But, it is, as I said, a semantic issue, and not one that you or anyone else needs to use to draw subjective conclusions about somebody who used it.

I appreciate your agreement that its use is technically not sensible.  However, its use by all kinds of Catholics does not mean it is merely semantics; rather, it means all kinds of Catholics are ignorant of their own theology.

My understanding is that, materially, mortal sin is what it is (e.g., killing an innocent person is always and everywhere an evil) -- but that culpability requires consent of the will, etc. IOW, sin is sin --a "missing of the mark,"  an objective (in the Eyes of God) imperfection. One's guilt for such a missing of the mark -- something that can only be known to God alone -- requires knowledge, consent of the will, etc.  So one can say, objectively, for ex., that Suzy sinned -- "missed the mark" -- by having an abortion. Her guilt for the objectively evil act that involves grave matter might well be mitigated by ignorance, a lack of full consent (e.g., perhaps she was pressured by the child's father), etc. Am I misunderstanding something?

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Experiences of Homosexual Trads - by VoxClamantis - 02-27-2014, 01:53 AM