The Experiences of Homosexual Trads
(02-27-2014, 01:53 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: My understanding is that, materially, mortal sin is what it is (e.g., killing an innocent person is always and everywhere an evil) -- but that culpability requires consent of the will, etc. IOW, sin is sin --a "missing of the mark,"  an objective (in the Eyes of God) imperfection. One's guilt for such a missing of the mark -- something that can only be known to God alone -- requires knowledge, consent of the will, etc.  So one can say, objectively, for ex., that Suzy sinned -- "missed the mark" -- by having an abortion. Her guilt for the objectively evil act that involves grave matter might well be mitigated by ignorance, a lack of full consent (e.g., perhaps she was pressured by the child's father), etc. Am I misunderstanding something?

Nope, your understanding is exactly what mine is.  I don't think Catholic Thinker meant it as severely as I first interpreted him.  But I understood objective mortal sin as to imply the necessary knowledge, will and consent for mortality in a general sense.

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Experiences of Homosexual Trads - by Melkite - 02-27-2014, 02:07 AM