The Experiences of Homosexual Trads
(02-27-2014, 12:00 PM)Ptochos Wrote:
(02-27-2014, 11:44 AM)loggats Wrote: At a tangent: "passing" is part of the problem, the internalized sense of shame, and partly why people with SSA leave the Church in such numbers. If an individual is not heterosexual, there should be no compunction to treat orientation as a role to be played. Actively seeking to pass is, I think, somewhat sinful behaviour in so far as it's lying - pure and simple.

BTW I know this is misdirected in so far as you (Ptochos) may not be working towards passing (by carefully controlling your identity performance in public... what a tiring and self-destructive exercise that can be) but people just "assume." That assumption is what I take issue with too though. It's part of the culture of hiding that keeps people with SSA from finding viable role models in the Catholic Church, and flourishing in their spiritual lives as part of the community. Because no matter what some may believe, SSA is not simply about sexual acts. It's an issue of identity too, and that shouldn't be a scary thing to admit.

I don't know how old you are or where you live but keep in mind that for some of us, "passing" is a matter of survival. This is less of an issue today, at least in the U.S., but was a very big issue in my formative years. I was the object of violence and threats on an ongoing basis for the first 30 years or so of my life. I hardly think developing the ability to hide this orientation is "lying pure and simple." I don't believe it qualifies as a lie since it is made under direct threat of violence and in any case, it is anything but "lying pure and simple."

I apologise for coming across as patronizing. I can't imagine what it must have been like, though I think a lot of SSA individuals in the Church today feel the need to "pass" even without the threat of physical violence. Indeed, I can believe that passing back then was a matter of life and death in some cases. This is a cause for celebration (yes we're allowed to celebrate some things about our contemporary culture) - a SSA individual is no longer under constant threat of physical violence and/or death today in the West. That's why it weighs so heavily on my heart when people who profess Christianity celebrate the legislation being passed in Uganda, and want to see it replicated elsewhere.

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Experiences of Homosexual Trads - by loggats - 02-27-2014, 12:13 PM