The Experiences of Homosexual Trads
(02-28-2014, 08:30 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote:
(02-28-2014, 08:22 PM)A Catholic Thinker Wrote:
(02-28-2014, 06:00 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote:
(02-27-2014, 11:01 PM)A Catholic Thinker Wrote: The Catholic who suffers from SSA should not only maintain chastity but also strive to get to the bottom of his disordered inclinations and, if possible, marry.  Countless souls who do or once suffered from SSA have done this.

I find the above especially astonishing.  I wonder if men would be so apt to give out the advice to lesbians to get married -- and then step up to be the ones to volunteer to marry a woman who has no sexual interest in them whatsoever.  I mean, if you were a woman, would you want to be married to a man who has no sexual interest in you? If not, then why wish it on anyone else?

You completely missed the point.  Did you wonder, perhaps, what I meant by "if possible"? 

If you would do some reading regarding the success stories of reparative therapy you'd know what I meant.  But I guess I'd better spell it out: there are many, many people who do or once suffered from SSA who, through therapy, have come to be sexually attracted to the opposite sex.  It turns out that such attraction is actually innate (go figure - God designed people) and in many cases masked by disordered orientation created by psychological disturbance early in life.

Ah, OK, if you're referring, in essence, to folks who no longer are SSA, then marriage makes sense.

-- And, on second thought, I can imagine someone with SSA who meets a low libido woman, they hit it off as great friends,  agree to marry and to consummate the marriage (even if it takes his "thinking of England")  -- maybe repeatedly consummating the marriage with the goal of having kids -- and their living happily ever after. As long as the person with SSA is up-front about himself in that case, and the woman knows what the deal is, then power to them.

Yes, that's what I meant - although there are many cases where SSA retreats and exists along with normal (yes, normal) attraction to the opposite sex.  Just like a recovering alcoholic, such a person may struggle to some extent with SSA for the long haul, but that does not mean they should not marry.  It may well be their calling to do so.

I apologize for being as snippy towards you as I was.

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Experiences of Homosexual Trads - by The Catholic Thinker - 02-28-2014, 08:42 PM