The Catholic Church forbids circumcision for any reason!
(02-28-2014, 12:48 AM)Chestertonian Wrote: So, God basically told His chosen people to rape their children as a sign of His covenant with them?

If you believe that Yahweh is God, then yes, yes he did.  He murdered the firstborn of the entire nation of Egypt in cold blood.  Do you really put child rape past him?

Quote:Circumcision is not part of the New Covenant between Christ and His Church.  The document from the Council of Florence denounces circumcision to eliminate any confusion between the Old Covenant and the New.  St. Paul taught that circumcision is not necessary, and that our covenant with God is established through Baptism and not through circumcision.  He was speaking against it as an alternative to baptism and the belief many Jewish converts held that it is necessary to be part of God's people.

But God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.  If it was required to circumcise for religious reasons then, it can't possibly be a sin to circumcise for religious reasons now.

Quote:However plenty of people today get their sons circumcised so that the son resembles the father,

Well, I hope those fathers aren't missing any other body parts!  I mean, really.  I need to cut off a part of my son's body so that he will look like me?

Quote: or because you think it is easier to keep clean. 

Imagine the illnesses that could be prevented by cutting off children's hands...

Quote:there was no religious ritual involved and there was also no pain due to the topical anesthetic. 

Come on, man, use your brain for a minute.  There was no pain because you used a topical anesthetic?  The foreskin is the most densely innervated part of the human body.  If I were to cut off your lips or eyelids, and only gave you a topical anesthetic to ease the pain, you really think you wouldn't feel any?  That would be like going to have a cavity filled and only giving the patient some ambesol.

Quote:The Blessed Mother had her Divine Son circumcised, because he was a Jew and it is something that God ordained.  We celebrate His circumcision on January 1st.   It could never be an intrinsically evil act comparable to rape.  The God we worship is the same God that commanded Abraham to remove his foreskin as a token of the covenant that existed between them, even if such an act is not part of our covenant with Him.

All proof that the god you worship is not a god at all.

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Catholic Church forbids circumcision for any reason! - by Melkite - 02-28-2014, 12:57 AM