Annulment statistics and questions
Less than a year or two is the norm I hope. I know one poor man who's been waiting 9 years! There's no excuse for that.
(03-04-2014, 09:39 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: Less than a year or two is the norm I hope. I know one poor man who's been waiting 9 years! There's no excuse for that.

I almost thought that you might be referring to the Sheila Rauch Kennedy annulment case, which took almost a decade for the original annulment to be overturned by Rome.....but then I re-read what you wrote.  That poor man is still waiting?
(03-03-2014, 10:57 PM)Armor of Light Wrote: You are very welcome! I'd be happy to discuss more detailed questions and share more via PM if you think that'd be helpful..

I guess the only question off the top of my head is do I have to wait for my divorce to go through before beginning the annulment process, or no?
(03-04-2014, 08:55 PM)Antonius Josephus Wrote:
(03-03-2014, 10:57 PM)Armor of Light Wrote: You are very welcome! I'd be happy to discuss more detailed questions and share more via PM if you think that'd be helpful..

I guess the only question off the top of my head is do I have to wait for my divorce to go through before beginning the annulment process, or no?

I believe the answer is no. I knew someone who was doing both co-currently, and once the civil divorce was finalized the annulment was granted within a week or two. But there might be rules concerning that too, this person had been separated from her spouse for a number of years at this point and the divorce was almost a just a formality.
(03-04-2014, 02:47 PM)lumine Wrote:
(03-04-2014, 09:39 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: Less than a year or two is the norm I hope. I know one poor man who's been waiting 9 years! There's no excuse for that.

I almost thought that you might be referring to the Sheila Rauch Kennedy annulment case, which took almost a decade for the original annulment to be overturned by Rome.....but then I re-read what you wrote.  That poor man is still waiting?

Yes, he's still waiting. He wrote a sarcastic letter to the editor at Our Sunday Visitor after reading their article about the problem of today's "easy annulments."
(03-04-2014, 08:55 PM)Antonius Josephus Wrote:

In LA archdiocese the divorce must be finalized first, before annulment process begins. In my case, the annulment took  about a year. But time can varie, depending on how complicated .
(03-03-2014, 10:51 AM)lumine Wrote: It has been said that the Catholic Church in the U.S.A. grants more annulments than the Catholic Church in any other country.  Where would I, or could I get reliable statistics on this?

Is there anyone here who has been through the annulment process and is willing to share some of their experience?

Thanks

For statistics the best source is the "Statistical Yearbook of the Church". That is likely available at a Catholic college if you live near one.
This was derived from there:

"Despite this decline, the United States, with 5.9 percent of the world’s Catholics, still accounts for 60 percent of the Church’s 58,322 declarations of nullity (2007 statistics in the Vatican Secretariat of State’s Statistical Yearbook of the Church). Of the 35,009 declarations of nullity granted in the US, 79 percent were granted through the ordinary process, while 21 percent were granted through the documentary process."

http://www.catholicworldreport.com/Item/...ation.aspx

C.
Thanks for the information and link, Cetil!
(03-05-2014, 12:31 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: I believe the answer is no. I knew someone who was doing both co-currently, and once the civil divorce was finalized the annulment was granted within a week or two. But there might be rules concerning that too, this person had been separated from her spouse for a number of years at this point and the divorce was almost a just a formality.

(03-05-2014, 03:05 PM)In nomine Patris Wrote: In LA archdiocese the divorce must be finalized first, before annulment process begins. In my case, the annulment took  about a year. But time can varie, depending on how complicated .

Thank you both! I'll just ask the diocese, since I shouldn't be surprised that this would differ from place to place.