Is getting ashes on Ash Wednesday obligatory
You don't have to make Ash Wednesday a day of obligation. People love getting their ashes. I just came from Mass and it was packed, as it is every year. Same thing with meatless Fridays. People love their fish frys. Nobody needs to threaten anyone with hellfire and damnation.
Thank you for all the replies. I just didn't want to be doing the wrong thing. I didn't go to church because I am in a parish where they do a lot of things that are liturgically wrong and I get more upset at church than I am out.

I am fasting and abstaining as is required. Have a blessed and holy Lent.
(03-05-2014, 05:15 PM)Glory Wrote: Thank you for all the replies. I just didn't want to be doing the wrong thing. I didn't go to church because I am in a parish where they do a lot of things that are liturgically wrong and I get more upset at church than I am out.

I am fasting and abstaining as is required. Have a blessed and holy Lent.

Well that I can understand, but you should always try and attend Mass even if there are a few liturgical abnormalities that are bothersome (I know...the hand-holding Our Father, the throwing up of the hands at the And With Your Spirit, the bad sappy hymns, the loud exit after Mass, army of EMHC, 99% receiving Holy Communion in the hand, using the 3rd Penitential setting....which basically skips the confitor and just goes to the Kyrie.)

still...the Mass is the Mass and you should try and receive Him. I'm not judging because I don't know how bad it is where you're at. However just want to let you know that don't let bad practicies keep you from Communion....either way Ash Wednesday is not a Holy Day of Obligation and you're free to stay home and just fast and abstain.

On a note. If you are the age of 60 or are sick, frail, pregnant, nursing mother, or are a manual laborer (according to need). You are excused from fasting and abstinence.
AustenBosten everything you mentioned is happening and more. I have gone to other NO masses through the years and I am not saying that if I can't get the TLM I won't go to one but this one just gets to me. The last time I went to a mass there was for New Year's and there were dancers dancing during the offertory and a gospel singalong during the sermon. Sooo I've tried.

I have actually been listening to/watching the mass online :blush: and an SSPX I think.
(03-05-2014, 08:49 PM)Glory Wrote: AustenBosten everything you mentioned is happening and more. I have gone to other NO masses through the years and I am not saying that if I can't get the TLM I won't go to one but this one just gets to me. The last time I went to a mass there was for New Year's and there were dancers dancing during the offertory and a gospel singalong during the sermon. Sooo I've tried.

I have actually been listening to/watching the mass online :blush: and an SSPX I think.

Awww that's really unfortunate :(( I feel for you.

Yeah I'd have a hard time attending if that crap went on.