Media twisting Holy Father's words again!
(03-07-2014, 05:09 PM)quo warranto Wrote:
(03-07-2014, 02:14 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote:
(03-06-2014, 05:26 PM)quo warranto Wrote: This argument in favor of civil unions is beyond absurd to me. Again, You don't need to be civilly married to someone to have them be at your bedside or speaking for you in the hospital. If this is a concern, then assign someone you trust as a power of attorney. You don't need to be married to them, civilly or otherwise.

This argument in favor of civil unions has been overused to say the least and make zero sense.

You'll never get it if you can't distinguish between a civil contract and marriage. You keep mixing up the terms "civil marriage"  and "civil unions."

Here's the problem...You seem to think there is a difference. There is not much....A Marriage is a sacrament, yes but it is also a civil contract.  A civil union is a sort of marriage of two parties to each other. Civil unions are used by homosexuals as a form of marriage. This way they can get all the benefits of a sacramentally married couple. Your use of the hospital argument in favor of civil unions is what is troubling to me. There is no reason why a power of attorney could not work for people in those kinds of situations.

If civil unions were nothing more then a contract so people could have a certain person at there bedside in the hospital then the church would not be against civil unions.  It is because it is recognized as a form of marriage that the church is against it. If I'm wrong, please correct me.
Here's the def. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_union

It's very simple about the power of attorney:  most people, when healthy, don't want to give power of attorney to others. Go ask your husband if he will give you power of attorney over him right now, as an example. Or go ask your parents if you can have power of attorney over them. I bet they all look at you like you're insane and all say "NO!"  Or who would you want to have power of attorney over you right now? But when folks NEED for someone else to have power of attorney, they are often not in the position to grant it. A Court awards it -- and the people who get awarded it are next of kin in some way. They are not going to give power of attorney to your roommate or your first grade teacher or the guy who packs your bags at the grocery. Having a contract could allow Courts to grant power of attorney to someone -- a person of one's own choosing --  who actually knows and gives a damn about the person as opposed to some next of kin who may well hate him and have cut him off. To me, this is a very reasonable thing to have in place, especially for folks who are not blessed with immediate family -- or at least immediate family they can trust and rely on.

Alll contracts are civil contracts. Me, I don't care what sorts of contracts people want to enter into as long as they're not trying to call it marriage.