Doctors Mistake Toes for Genitals
(03-20-2014, 12:11 AM)Deidre Wrote: My aunt had a hysterectomy in her 30s due to severe endometriosis, and her doctor told her after the surgery: "Oh, while I was operating, I took out your appendix as well, since you don't need it anyway." My aunt thinks: "Cool! No appendicitis for me!" Twenty years later, she goes in to have part of her colon removed, due to colon cancer, and her (new) doctor also tells her: "I figured I'd just take out your appendix, since it was there and you don't need it." This time, my aunt (and really, the whole family) said: " :O WHAT !" To this day, I shudder to think what would have happened if she had had appendicitis during the intervening years, all the while thinking that she couldn't have appendicitis, because she "didn't have an appendix!" Doctors.  :eyeroll:

Isn't it worrying that doctors would remove her appendix without her express consent?
(03-20-2014, 10:07 AM)loggats Wrote:
(03-20-2014, 12:11 AM)Deidre Wrote: My aunt had a hysterectomy in her 30s due to severe endometriosis, and her doctor told her after the surgery: "Oh, while I was operating, I took out your appendix as well, since you don't need it anyway." My aunt thinks: "Cool! No appendicitis for me!" Twenty years later, she goes in to have part of her colon removed, due to colon cancer, and her (new) doctor also tells her: "I figured I'd just take out your appendix, since it was there and you don't need it." This time, my aunt (and really, the whole family) said: " :O WHAT !" To this day, I shudder to think what would have happened if she had had appendicitis during the intervening years, all the while thinking that she couldn't have appendicitis, because she "didn't have an appendix!" Doctors.  :eyeroll:

Isn't it worrying that doctors would remove her appendix without her express consent?

Not as worrying as it would have been, if they had removed an organ that actually did something. It's weird, though, that two doctors (apparently) decided to do it. And the second time, my aunt was more worried about the fact that the first doctor hadn't actually removed it, when she said she did.
That's just creepy.

I have to say, though, that's one reason why I try to use a midwife vs. an OB for my babies. They don't generally do pelvic exams except during labour, and usually it's just once instead of the gazillion times the doctor/nurse will do it with an OB (they somehow don't believe me when I tell them I'm not in transition yet). I am having a pap smear next week with the midwives, but I'm also due as it's been 3 years. I am allowed to decline virtually every test and procedure if I choose, and I do in fact decline most.
I worry that this sort of article is may do more harm than good by placing undeserving blame on male doctors. I THINK she implies that she only went to male doctors, because she goes onto say "if I were a guy".... Why?

Fungus (yeast) starts in the gut and moves out to many, many, many other parts of the body. In my experience, doctors generally don't treat fungal infections very well. The person who has yeast related issues needs to educate themself with regard to fungal infections. Managing yeast is all about taking large amounts of probiotics and avoiding refined carbohydrates as much as possible. 

Who knows? Maybe the doctor thought she could have a vaginal yeast infection, too. You can have it and not know it. And abnormal pap smear results can be caused by a yeast infection. If you've been on antibiotics for any length of time, as I have, you may well be susceptible to yeast related problems for the rest of your life.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.