Will Cardinal Burke be the One?
I don't think Cardinal Burke will do more than he's doing now but even just the fact that a Cardinal is saying things in defense of the Faith on television is a small beacon of hope to many. I know that Cardinal Burke has the Memorare said for him each day by all the members of the Marian Catechist Apostolate he oversees and that he is one of the better Cardinals in the West. The Church is still in God's hands even if her all too human members use extensive psychological profiling and try to run it like North Korea. They will never one-up God in the end. Whether Cardinal Burke will do something drastic or not is up for debate and ultimately unknowable, but someday someone will. The younger priests are more orthodox and many of todays younger laity are discovering tradition and going to great lengths to find beacons of sanity. Perhaps Pope Francis and men of his generation will be the Swan Song of Vatican II and it's putrid and rotten fruit.
(03-22-2014, 07:24 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: Perhaps Pope Francis and men of his generation will be the Swan Song of Vatican II and it's putrid and rotten fruit.

This is my hope, especially as I have no other for the current state of affairs in the Church.
(03-22-2014, 06:39 PM)salus Wrote: Don't be surprised to see Cardinal Burke sent packing back to America to take over the Archdiocese of Chicago from an ailing Cardinal George who is also 77.

I wouldn't really bet on that.  Burke is more dangerous to the liberal agenda when he's in the US than he is in Rome.  This will be especially true if Cardinal Kasper's ideas on marriage come to pass-- the Apostolic Signatura will have many fewer marriage cases to look at, since "annulment" will be carried out by parish priests.

No, I think for the moment, Burke is going to be a case of "keep your friends close, and your enemies closer."  He will be kept in Rome, but in a position of little influence and with little voice.
(03-22-2014, 08:36 PM)JuniorCouncilor Wrote:
(03-22-2014, 06:39 PM)salus Wrote: Don't be surprised to see Cardinal Burke sent packing back to America to take over the Archdiocese of Chicago from an ailing Cardinal George who is also 77.

I wouldn't really bet on that.  Burke is more dangerous to the liberal agenda when he's in the US than he is in Rome.  This will be especially true if Cardinal Kasper's ideas on marriage come to pass-- the Apostolic Signatura will have many fewer marriage cases to look at, since "annulment" will be carried out by parish priests.

No, I think for the moment, Burke is going to be a case of "keep your friends close, and your enemies closer."  He will be kept in Rome, but in a position of little influence and with little voice.

That nails it.

This is Romanista stuff.
(03-22-2014, 01:45 PM)Skarga Wrote: 1970 called, they want their thread back.
[Image: mgrlefebre_mgrmastromayer_1.jpg]

Those who resisted the changes in the Church have already made their stand, it's been almost 45 years. Cardinal Burke won't do anything important. These men, especially the more conservative ones, don't become bishops or cardinals without careful consideration. The Vatican has extensive psychological profiles on these men, somebody like Cardinal Burke was probably put under an electron microscope before he got a promotion. The modern day Church has the means of cherry picking obedient men into high ranks, there's no way we'll ever see an orthodox/traditional bishop rebelling.

Cardinal Burke will fall into obscurity as this pontificate goes on. I'm suprised he wasn't sent off to Alaska or Siberia, we already have a traditional-leaning bishop in Kazakhstan (aka the place the Soviets sent people to die) so it's no that far fetched  :grin:

Or perhaps Cardinal Burke is the Vatican's token trad dinosaur they wheel out to show that VII wasn't a total rupture.
[Image: there-can-be-only-one.png]
Cardinal Burke is doing his best. There are others who have a similar view to His Eminence but are more cautious. The situation in Rome is currently surreal, with a Pope Emeritus around. Some of those who Benedict XVI himself had termed as 'wolves' are waiting for the right occasion to devour the sheep. We need to continue praying for Benedict XVI - and also for the current Pontiff.