The Scandal That is Eating the Heart out of the Catholic Church in America
CaptCrunch73 Wrote:Another good article, link to the entire issue is below.

"(American Life League)  Here is the text of Canon 915: “Those who have been excommunicated or interdicted after the imposition or declaration of the penalty and others obstinately persevering in manifest grave sin are not to be admitted to Holy Communion.”

Several American bishops have made statements to the effect that a bishop must exercise “discretion” regarding whether to “impose the penalty” of denial of Communion. Among them: Chaput, Dolan, O’Malley, and Wuerl.

All bishops who refuse to “impose the penalty” are participating in a lie. Namely, that denial of Communion is a penalty."

CaptCrunch73 Wrote:Here we go with the "pastoral approach" again. The "pastoral approach" seems to be the pancea to go against church teaching. Father Z wrote earlier in the week a good article on when "No" is pastoral, lest we forget admonishing the sinner is a third spiritual act of mercy after all.

They have also emanated specious arguments. Here are some of Cardinal Wuerl’s preposterous, irrelevant statements, made in these or very similar words:

That’s not my style.

I follow a “pastoral approach” rather than a “canonical approach.

”We need to find out if the canon was written for the purpose of bringing politicians to heel.

I will not deny Communion to anyone who has not been formally excommunicated.

CaptCrunch73 Wrote:Another good point below, it it those who are pro-choice that turn this into a political issue, especially when denied communion. How many recall when Patrick Kennedy turned this into a political issue when he was denied communion? Patrick Kennedy was told privately not to receive communion for his own spiritual benefit and Patrick Kennedy made the statements public and turned that into a political issue, HuffPo and CNN was more than happy to carry the story.

It is said by many, including Cardinal Wuerl, that Communion should not be used as a political weapon.

Absolutely true. And the reception of Communion is being used as a political weapon—by pro-abortion politicians. As long as they are permitted to receive Communion, the bishop (e.g., Cardinal Wuerl) endorses their claim to be “ardent Catholics” whose promotion of abortion is NO SIN.

CaptCrunch73 Wrote:Well, as the Holy Father has requested let's raise a ruckus!

If this scandal is to end, Rome needs to hear a great deal more noise from the laity. As Pope Francis told the youth of Brazil: “Raise a ruckus.”

http://www.sanctepater.com/2014/03/the-s...ut-of.html
(03-26-2014, 01:52 PM)CaptCrunch73 Wrote:     I follow a “pastoral approach” rather than a “canonical approach.

Pastors with "itching ears" who crave approval as well as those who may just be too weak to live up to their vocation are walking the wide road, aren't they?  This is the "pastoral approach" that often ends at a cliff above a certain lake, I believe.  Thus, it is very poor pastoring.