Measles, Immunizations, and the Catholic
There was an outbreak of measles in a high-school here in Calgary. Kids are being sent home for several weeks unless they can prove immunity to measles.

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/more-details-o...-1.1758674
My son, now 26, was born in the U.K.  When he was born there was no mandatory vaccination.  We chose not to have him vaccinated.  He had measles.  He survived intact.  He had mumps.  He survived intact.  He had rubella.  He survived intact.  He had chicken pox.  He..............yeah.....survived intact.  He's had a total of maybe 3 courses of antibiotics in his whole lifetime to date.  He now has *natural* immunity to the aforementioned ailments.  He suffered no lingering effects of any of them.  His health is great.  Did he suffer from the diseases while he had them?  Sure.  But no more than any other normally healthy child would have, and quite possibly less so.

If the vaccinations "work" so well, why do outbreaks of the vaccinated-against diseases keep happening---in kids that have been vaccinated?  If the vaccinations "work" why are people afraid of kids not getting the vaccinations in populations that are otherwise heavily vaccinated? 

I would agree, to a certain extent, that in populations that are malnourished, in populations where hygiene standards are not what they are in most of the "First" world countries vaccinations might be appropriate.

If a child reacts to a vaccine (and said reaction could very well be even further away from the event than the 24-48 hours modern medicine tends to allow for in order to attribute it to the vaccine), if it were my child, *no* other vaccine would *ever* enter their body.  Modern medicine's version of Russian Roulette with bullets in 2 (or even 3) of 6 chambers of the revolver.  Other kids in the family?  Get the vaccinations split up into component parts and administered separately with at least 6 months between them, starting at an *older* age than normal to give kid,s immune system a better chance to develop and strengthen.

In modern western society, if a *child* contracts one of the formerly usual *childhood* diseases, if they are otherwise relatively (even averagely so) healthy and nourished, these ailments are rarely dangerous let alone life-threatening.  They are also eminently treatable.

We will *never* eradicate disease, this side of the Parousia.  What we might well be doing is exchanging some acute diseases that are, on the whole, not so universally horrible, for deeper-seated, longer lasting, more debilitating *chronic* illnesses that we don't really know how to treat, let alone "cure".

Just my 2-cent's worth... :)