Can the Church Canonize a Pope While Ignoring His Papacy?
(03-29-2014, 06:18 AM)salus Wrote: I can see these canonizations as creating a bigger divide between conservative and traditional Catholics. Since the process was streamlined for making saints in 1983, saints made after that time will not be recognized by many trads. The fact of the quickness of these canonizations adds ammunition to those who are shocked that these men are being canonized when they led the church to it's biggest disaster in history. It also says that someone wants Vatican 2 to be surrounded by "sanctity" to make it seem like THE SUPER-COUNCIL. I see trouble ahead, including when they are both forced into the 1962 missal.

Yes...it's already started with the canonization of Msgr. Escriva, and it really worries me that this will bring about doubts as to the pope's authority to declare people saints.  For what it's worth, I already seek the intercession of the two popes...and Archbishop Lefebvre!  But I think that the archbishop would, all things considered, be a much better example for Catholics than Pope John Paul II...and I believe that we will eventually see his canonization too.
(03-29-2014, 08:00 AM)cassini Wrote: Why would anyone chose the name of an anti-pope? Here is one opinion:...

Another opinion would be that he took the name to 'reclaim' it for the Church, just as Pope Gregory VIII, Pope Innocent III, Pope Nicholas V, Popes Benedict XIII and XIV, and Popes Clement VII and VIII, all of whom took the names of anti-Popes, did. (I may have missed some as well, but this is a good sampling!) There are some names as yet 'unreclaimed', like Victor (there were two 'Victor IV' anti-Popes) and Paschal, but we have until the Second Coming for a future pope to pick one of those names.
(03-30-2014, 02:51 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(03-29-2014, 08:00 AM)cassini Wrote: Why would anyone chose the name of an anti-pope? Here is one opinion:...

Another opinion would be that he took the name to 'reclaim' it for the Church, just as Pope Gregory VIII, Pope Innocent III, Pope Nicholas V, Popes Benedict XIII and XIV, and Popes Clement VII and VIII, all of whom took the names of anti-Popes, did. (I may have missed some as well, but this is a good sampling!) There are some names as yet 'unreclaimed', like Victor (there were two 'Victor IV' anti-Popes) and Paschal, but we have until the Second Coming for a future pope to pick one of those names.

Yes, you could be right, but my opinion was put in the context of the Masonic reformation of the Church at Vatican II. Your idea would credit St John with that reformation, not exactly flattering. However in its masonic context their abuse of St John (s), that is, taking the name after so many years is in line with a Pope John being directly responsible with throwing out tradition and inviting in novelty.