Video of Pope Francis going to Confession
(03-28-2014, 07:41 PM)Zea mays Wrote: you know his thinking could also have been...

confession is an important part of being a christian, i am going to show the world that even the pope needs forgiveness from sin, maybe those around the world will see this and follow with their own reconciliation.

lead by example.

Very True!

Papa has been constantly bringing up the need for Confession.

Benedica Papa!
I'm far more worried of electronic eavesdropping by those cameramen than anything else.

Glad to have that video -- a video that, as Fr. Z. said, is something we've never witnessed before. But as Miriam indicated, ALL Popes have gone to Confession. The idea of papal impeccability has never been a part of Church teaching. "Infallibility" refers to teachings offered in very specific ways, not to the idea that Popes don't sin and aren't in need of Penance, like everyone else. (please know that I know probably all FIshies know this stuff; I write, too, though, for people reading over our shoulders).

I hope that video inspires others to receive Penance for themselves. To me, it didn't seem as if the Holy Father was aware of cameras at all, and to impugn his motives is a sin. We should assume that the Pope simply felt the need to confess something, and he did, and a camera just happened to have been there to catch the moment. It's a good thing. Besides which, Penance isn't private prayer; it's a reconciliation with the Church and has a public aspect to it. Back in the day, penances given were often carried out very publicly, and I doubt anyone would've looked at the penitent following his priest's instructions and accused him of "showing off." Come on, man.

(03-28-2014, 09:10 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: The idea of papal impeccability has never been a part of Church teaching.

Correct.  There is nothing "special" about Francis, including in his need for the sacrament, like the rest of us.  He is not "more humble" than other Popes.  (And to judge his predecessors as "less humble" because they didn't take cameras with them to the confessional is a sin.)  :mrwinky:

(However, I didn't say you were doing that, Vox,  It's a tendency of many modern Catholics to judge Popes by externals, which is ridiculous.  And Jesus specifically enjoined us not to do that.)
(03-29-2014, 12:44 AM)Miriam_M Wrote:
(03-28-2014, 09:10 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: The idea of papal impeccability has never been a part of Church teaching.

Correct.  There is nothing "special" about Francis, including in his need for the sacrament, like the rest of us.  He is not "more humble" than other Popes.  (And to judge his predecessors as "less humble" because they didn't take cameras with them to the confessional is a sin.)   :mrwinky:

(However, I didn't say you were doing that, Vox,  It's a tendency of many modern Catholics to judge Popes by externals, which is ridiculous.  And Jesus specifically enjoined us not to do that.)

Well, yeah, we're not to judge the interior states of anyone, Popes included. His going to Confession says nothing in se about his humility, and says even less about the humility of his predecessors. It wouldn't surprise me, though, if the media were to use this footage as evidence of something "unique" about Pope Francis, something his predecessors were lacking. Par for the course, man.

But while we shouldn't judge anyone's souls (including Popes), we are sometimes called to judge actions. In this case, though, there's nothing nefarious on its face. There's nothing wrong with going to Confession, obviously, and I'm assuming, as I think we all should, that he was perfectly genuine. Whether he was or wasn't perfectly genuine is between him and God and his Confessor. But in any case, I hope his example inspires other to hie themselves to the Confessional.
(03-29-2014, 12:44 AM)Miriam_M Wrote: (And to judge his predecessors as "less humble" because they didn't take cameras with them to the confessional is a sin.)   

Yes, and I'm sure many here would agree with this, but nobody has actually implied that at all, all that was said was, it  "brought tears to my eyes! ". That's it, nothing more.

I'm sure if there was video of Pius XII or Leo XIII having their confession heard it would bring tears to our eyes as well.
(03-29-2014, 04:00 AM)Juanthetuba Wrote: I'm sure if there was video of Pius XII or Leo XIII having their confession heard it would bring tears to our eyes as well.

Not to mine. Although you're entitled, naturally, to be moved more by the acts of those with station than those without station, but apparently we're moved differently.
:)

I am moved by ordinary ordained men living their Orders by understanding thoroughly what the Sacrament does, what it means, and how to administer it.  I am moved and humbled by them.  I am not moved by photo-opps, even those by accident. The faithful priests who patiently listen to us are the genuine, unpublicized witnesses who, in their unphotographed behavior, inspire and encourage the frequent reception of the sacrament.  I do not need "celebrity" to show me what the Faith has always taught, long before spring of 2013 and the election of this pope.  His going to confession is not original; it mystifies me that others react differently to a video of this pope going to confession than the certain knowledge that every Pope before him did so, and frequently, yet did so without cameras following them.  It's odd that people seem to need some kind of visual affirmation before they believe what Jesus taught, including about forgiveness..  (Thomas, anyone?)

I can understand why some outrageously poorly catechized Catholics might "need" such a visual, because for them it might be a "shocking" (startling) sight.  But for the educated Catholics on this board?  Why would it bring "tears to your eyes" to confirm what you must already know about your Faith - knowledge and experience (hopefully) that should be moving and emotional enough, without any need of a video.  (I say that assumptively; I assume knowledge and experience from people here, not ignorance or "surprise" that a pope goes to confession, for heaven's sake.  It's simply not news.  There happened to be cameras there.  And?)  The personal experience of confession is the most moving possible motivation to participate in it.  None of us knows whether the Pope made a good, ho-hum, or outstanding confession.  But we sure are in charge of how we approach the sacrament ourselves.  It doesn't matter what he did.  We can't experience what he experienced.

Let me ask people here:  Would you only realize you should vote if you saw all those photo-opps of the Presidents (& spouses) voting, which are shown every election day?  Then you would be emotionally moved to vote?  Do you not vote because you value that right and responsibility enough to exercise it?  (I ask rhetorically, because I'm sure you don't need a photo-opp, even if you are wild about the candidate being photographed!)
(03-29-2014, 05:19 AM)Miriam_M Wrote: But for the educated Catholics on this board?  Why would it bring "tears to your eyes" to confirm what you must already know about your Faith - knowledge and experience (hopefully) that should be moving and emotional enough, without any need of a video.  (I say that assumptively; I assume knowledge and experience from people here, not ignorance or "surprise" that a pope goes to confession, for heaven's sake.  It's simply not news.  There happened to be cameras there.   And?)  The personal experience of confession is the most moving possible motivation to participate in it.  None of us knows whether the Pope made a good, ho-hum, or outstanding confession.  But we sure are in charge of how we approach the sacrament ourselves.  It doesn't matter what he did.  We can't experience what he experienced.

Let me ask people here:  Would you only realize you should vote if you saw all those photo-opps of the Presidents (& spouses) voting, which are shown every election day?  Then you would be emotionally moved to vote?  Do you not vote because you value that right and responsibility enough to exercise it?  (I ask rhetorically, because I'm sure you don't need a photo-opp, even if you are wild about the candidate being photographed!)

It seems you're not really "the emotional type", but lots of people are, and it doesn't refelect negatively on their catechesis (at least necessarily) whatsoever. Perhaps the OP was moved to tears thinking of how even the Pope, the Vicar of Christ and a world-wide "celebrity," gets on his knees before a "plain old priest" and confesses in order to receive God's mercy, how God gives His mercy to all who are truly repentant, etc. It could be as simply as that. No need for cynicism.

For the uncatechized, such a video could well get them to re-think the necessity of Confession. "Well, gee, if even the Pope has to go, I guess I should." Some people simply aren't that bright, and little things like videos such as this helps them. And it's all to the good.

Francis, the "Humility Ham" again, providing the press with another one of his patented Humility Photo-Ops!

Francis the Moslem Foot-Washer, Francis the Back Seat Bus Passenger, Francis the Just-One-of-the-Boys-during-Retreat-Back-Pew-Sitter, Francis the Beer-Can-Opener-Pectoral-Cross-Wearer, Francis the Doc-Martens-Boot-Wearer, etc., etc., etc.

Will photos of these precious moments be put on mugs for Fr. Zuhlsdorf to sell?  :grin:

Can'r anyone see how obviously phony these self-serving photo ops are?
So I just put a similar comment in a different  thread.

24 Hours for the Lord is great, confession by Pope Francis is great, and here in the Archdiocese of Boston there has been a program during Lent and Advent for the last few years called "The Light is Always On" making confession available from 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM in every parish in the Archdiocese Boston, which is also great. Father Z has been telling people to go to confession and for priests to hear more confessions for years. This is all good Catholic stuff.

Confession used to be a normal part of Catholic's life.  I think, to Miriam's points the pomp and circumstance around confession appears, to me anyway, to be an attempt to get the ship righted and regain our Catholic Sense. The reaction to Pope Francis calls to confession in such extreme manner, both positive and negative, shows me two things. First, how far the Catholic train has gone off the rails and it needs to be put back on track. Second, how much people with a Catholic sense long to be part of the Church and it's sacraments.

N.B. Take note I said both Pope Francis and Cardinal O'Malley are doing something good.