Video of Pope Francis going to Confession
(03-29-2014, 05:48 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: It seems you're not really "the emotional type", but lots of people are,

How wrong you are.  :)  I am ridiculously emotional, hopelessly so.  But it is not news that a Pope goes to confession, and no, it does not move me to tears, even had I learned of it without videos plastered on every Catholic website possible.  Here's what moves me to tears, Vox:

~My ICKSP priest kneeling at the altar rail, staring intently at the Tabernacle, seconds before he goes into the confessional to hear confessions.  It's not about him.  It's about me and all the other penitents he's about to listen to and be someone else's instrument for.  What an amazing, camera-free witness.

~All the other penitents waiting in line with me before confession.  Very moving.  I deliberately choose a line.  It's an amazingly powerful experience, bringing home the sacrament  Very humbling.  Brings home to me the universal reach of the sacrament.

~the sacrament itself, which, yes, moves me to tears. (I almost always cry.)

~the knowledge of Our Lord's sacrifice for me, not some video of some Pope  (any Pope) participating in a sacrament he should be routinely doing anyway.

(Call me weird -- the reasons "tears come to my eyes.")
The point is some Catholics feeling touched watching Holy Father go to Confession; does not mean they believe that only he is humble and all the other popes are. I remember a lot of people were touched hearing Pope John Paul II going to Confession...so that argument is a wash.

Seriously, some trads need to pull the cactus out of their asses and lighten the eff up.

{Compliments to the current Pope Insults to previous Popes}
(03-29-2014, 11:47 AM)austenbosten Wrote: The point is some Catholics feeling touched watching Holy Father go to Confession; does not mean they believe that only he is humble and all the other popes are. I remember a lot of people were touched hearing Pope John Paul II going to Confession...so that argument is a wash.

Seriously, some trads need to pull the cactus out of their asses and lighten the eff up.

Yes, I noticed this meme months ago.  It's a form of straw man argument.  Whenever the Holy Father is lauded for doing something, a shrike will complain, "Sure, like he's the only one who ever did that," as if that had been claimed.  Even if some news report, somewhere, sometime, suggested such a thing, it's irrational or dishonest to ascribe it to everyone who praises the Holy Father.

I think what we are seeing, austenbosten, is bad will.  Pure and simple.
(03-29-2014, 09:08 AM)Heorot Wrote:
(03-29-2014, 06:22 AM)FatherCekada Wrote: Francis, the "Humility Ham" again, providing the press with another one of his patented Humility Photo-Ops!

Francis the Moslem Foot-Washer, Francis the Back Seat Bus Passenger, Francis the Just-One-of-the-Boys-during-Retreat-Back-Pew-Sitter, Francis the Beer-Can-Opener-Pectoral-Cross-Wearer, Francis the Doc-Martens-Boot-Wearer, etc., etc., etc.

Will photos of these precious moments be put on mugs for Fr. Zuhlsdorf to sell?  :grin:

Can'r anyone see how obviously phony these self-serving photo ops are?

Father, I am sorry but this post is disgusting. Yes, Francis is an objectionable Pope in many ways and he speaks like a modernist... but there is no way to know if this instance was "obviously"-phony. Perhaps it was self-serving, or perhaps not - but his consciousness thereof is literally beyond our grasp. Has your love for tradition and disdain for the Novus Ordo made you unable to assume goodness on the part of any given member of the hierarchy?

No, sorry, you're dead wrong. This is ALL PR and all utterly phony. A person who is truly humble does not make a show of it, does not seek to stick out -- especially with photo ops sent around the world. We've got everything but the Swiss Guards blowing the trumpets for his "humility" performances.

One of the things we were warned against in novitiate was "singularity" or "eccentricity" in religious observance, precisely because it was what St. Bernard called the Fifth Step of Pride:

"The fifth degree -- Eccentricity. (The opposite of the eighth degree of humility, observance of the general rule of the monastery.)

"A man who prides himself on being better than his fellow-men thinks it a disgrace if he does not do something more than they do, whereby his superiority may be apparent. Therefore the general rule of the monastery and the example of its senior members are not enough for him. Yet his anxiety is not to be, but to be seen to be better than they. His effort is not to lead a better life but visibly to surpass others, so that he may be able to say, I am not as the rest of men. ...  When the vigil is over, and the other monks are resting in the cloister, he alone lingers in the oratory. He coughs and spits, and the ears of those sitting outside are filled with the sighs and groans from his corner. By his silly and singular action he has established a high reputation with his more simple brethren, who quite approve what they, see of his doings, though they do not detect their motive, and, by the commendation which they bestow on him, they aid and abet the wretched man's mistake."

What popes (and "popes") did before him is not sufficient. Francis has to show us all his superiority -- above them all in "humility," and not afraid to remind us of it.

(03-29-2014, 09:08 AM)Heorot Wrote: t's hardly courageous traditionalism to insult the man on a forum he's probably never going to see.

Now, once you make these accusations directly to Francis, face-to-face, then you will have the right to speak about him in that manner here.

Next time I'm in Rome, I'd be I'll be waiting for the invitation to the Casa S. Marta breakfast buffet. I'd be happy to test the limits of his tolerance for ecumenical dialogue.  :)
(03-29-2014, 11:47 AM)austenbosten Wrote: Seriously, some trads need to pull the cactus out of their asses and lighten the eff up.

and other trads need to learn to discern charity toward their fellow trads, and stop making judgments about Catholics who are underwhelmed by a Pope's normal routine.  Still other trads need to understand that failure to weep at a Pope's spiritual obligation to engage in regular confession is not a sign of poor spiritual formation on the part of the non-weepers.  Still other trads should probably wash their mouths out with soap, or should have had parents who told them to do just that after using vulgar metaphors and foul language which emits contempt for fellow Catholics, while praising a pope doing nothing particularly spectacular.  The irony is not lost on some of us.
Part of me regrets bringing up this subject, because apparently it has incited  some people to think/speak/write ill of the Pope. But then again, I can't help what others do. But never in my wildest dreams would I imagine that a Cathilic would think poorly of the Pope for going to Confession. As someone else mentioned, every special papal ceremony is recorded in St. Peter's; cameras are a fixture. Maybe the Pope could have gone to confession in private beforehand, but what's the difference? Is the entire basilica of penitents full of "proud" sinners because they were also captured on camera? I believe the Holy Father has, in the past, whether intentionally or not--we DON'T know-  has said and done things that could be detrimental to the faith of some, and give an unclear witness to the Church and the world. But now, when he gives an excellent example, we dismiss him as though he's done something wrong. Do we really understand that he is the pope? He deserves our respect. We can pay him lip service all day, but that doesn't mean we truly honor him and his position. Resistance to error that is promulgated by "establishment" Rome is one thing, but even in the midst of resistance, respect and honor are still important.
(03-29-2014, 11:47 AM)austenbosten Wrote: The point is some Catholics feeling touched watching Holy Father go to Confession; does not mean they believe that only he is humble and all the other popes are. I remember a lot of people were touched hearing Pope John Paul II going to Confession...so that argument is a wash.

For sure--you can bet that if it was a video of Pope Benedict I would've bawled! It's always humbling to see the big wigs in the Church acknowledge their own sinfulness too. We ALL need God's mercy. Even us "trads." 
(03-28-2014, 05:14 PM)Hiero of Syracuse Wrote: I agree. I will admit that I have a tendency to find fault in others-especially Francis, but I feel that some people take it too far. Why do you think that Francis is making a video to showcase his piety and humility? Is it not possible that he, being the most important man in the religious world, has people who film him-no matter what he is doing?

And he knows that, and takes advantage of it.

This was made clear when he told that priest he invited into his vehicle during an audience (for which he was again praised for his abundant humility): "Smile - these pictures will be seen all over the world".

It's sad there's so much naivety regarding this pontificate.  It's also sad that there is no little protest against the implicit and explicit insults to all his predecessors - as if this was the first pope to be a "good person".

This pope refused even to give anything resembling a proper papal blessing at his introduction to the world, for fear of "offending" non-Catholics.  He will not travel under his papal passport.  Is it humble to refuse to behave like the Vicar of Christ instead of Simon?  Is it the man or the office that is being debased?
I have said this before and  will say it again.....The following text is the entirety of what it  means to be a Catholic Christian we ALL had better take this VERY seriously and apply it to everything we do.    We all have such very  very hard hearts.  May  Jesus forgive us. :'((

13 If I speak in the tongues of mortals and of angels, but do not have love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give away all my possessions, and if I hand over my body so that I may boast,[a] but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant 5 or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6 it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth. 7 It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8 Love never ends. But as for prophecies, they will come to an end; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will come to an end. 9 For we know only in part, and we prophesy only in part; 10 but when the complete comes, the partial will come to an end. 11 When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became an adult, I put an end to childish ways. 12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly,[b] but then we will see face to face. Now I know only in part; then I will know fully, even as I have been fully known. 13 And now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; and the greatest of these is love.
(03-29-2014, 12:42 PM)Miriam_M Wrote:
(03-29-2014, 11:47 AM)austenbosten Wrote: Seriously, some trads need to pull the cactus out of their asses and lighten the eff up.

and other trads need to learn to discern charity toward their fellow trads, and stop making judgments about Catholics who are underwhelmed by a Pope's normal routine.  Still other trads need to understand that failure to weep at a Pope's spiritual obligation to engage in regular confession is not a sign of poor spiritual formation on the part of the non-weepers.  Still other trads should probably wash their mouths out with soap, or should have had parents who told them to do just that after using vulgar metaphors and foul language which emits contempt for fellow Catholics, while praising a pope doing nothing particularly spectacular.  The irony is not lost on some of us.

It was the exact opposite. Someone expressed getting teary-eyed, and someone intimated he was being ridiculous. That's where the accusations against spiritual malformation came from, not the other way around. The OP did not imply in any way that people who aren't emotionally affected as he was show poor spiritual formation. It was the precise opposite.