Video of Pope Francis going to Confession
(03-29-2014, 11:31 AM)Miriam_M Wrote:
(03-29-2014, 05:48 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: It seems you're not really "the emotional type", but lots of people are,

How wrong you are.   :)   I am ridiculously emotional, hopelessly so.  But it is not news that a Pope goes to confession, and no, it does not move me to tears, even had I learned of it without videos plastered on every Catholic website possible.  Here's what moves me to tears, Vox:

~My ICKSP priest kneeling at the altar rail, staring intently at the Tabernacle, seconds before he goes into the confessional to hear confessions.  It's not about him.  It's about me and all the other penitents he's about to listen to and be someone else's instrument for.  What an amazing, camera-free witness.

~All the other penitents waiting in line with me before confession.  Very moving.  I deliberately choose a line.  It's an amazingly powerful experience, bringing home the sacrament  Very humbling.  Brings home to me the universal reach of the sacrament.

~the sacrament itself, which, yes, moves me to tears. (I almost always cry.)

~the knowledge of Our Lord's sacrifice for me, not some video of some Pope  (any Pope) participating in a sacrament he should be routinely doing anyway.

(Call me weird -- the reasons "tears come to my eyes.")

You're like me then. I'm a cry-er, too. I wasn't affected by the Pope's going to Confession, though. That someone else was is fine by me, however.

(03-29-2014, 01:00 PM)Qoheleth Wrote: I have said this before and  will say it again.....The following text is the entirety of what it  means to be a Catholic Christian we ALL had better take this VERY seriously and apply it to everything we do.    We all have such very  very hard hearts.  May  Jesus forgive us. :'((

13 If I speak in the tongues of mortals and of angels, but do not have love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give away all my possessions, and if I hand over my body so that I may boast,[a] but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant 5 or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6 it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth. 7 It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8 Love never ends. But as for prophecies, they will come to an end; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will come to an end. 9 For we know only in part, and we prophesy only in part; 10 but when the complete comes, the partial will come to an end. 11 When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became an adult, I put an end to childish ways. 12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly,[b] but then we will see face to face. Now I know only in part; then I will know fully, even as I have been fully known. 13 And now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; and the greatest of these is love.
Thank you for this. It can be easy to forget that correct doctrine is NOT a replacement for love, repentance, conversion and struggle. We are called to both; they are not mutually exclusive at all. It's not enough for the head to be formed if the heart is a cold, hard stone. But it's easier to read a book than it is to love with the love of Christ.
(03-29-2014, 12:42 PM)Miriam_M Wrote:
(03-29-2014, 11:47 AM)austenbosten Wrote: Seriously, some trads need to pull the cactus out of their asses and lighten the eff up.

and other trads need to learn to discern charity toward their fellow trads, and stop making judgments about Catholics who are underwhelmed by a Pope's normal routine.  Still other trads need to understand that failure to weep at a Pope's spiritual obligation to engage in regular confession is not a sign of poor spiritual formation on the part of the non-weepers.  Still other trads should probably wash their mouths out with soap, or should have had parents who told them to do just that after using vulgar metaphors and foul language which emits contempt for fellow Catholics, while praising a pope doing nothing particularly spectacular.  The irony is not lost on some of us.

Following up on Vox's comment,

Don't turn this on us. You're the one who started making judgment calls and started insinuating that someone who was touched by this video of the Holy Father, implied that he was somehow insulting all previous pontificates.

I'm not emitting contempt for fellow Catholics as you so hypocritically claim (since you were the one holding contempt for Catholics who were moved by this video); I'm expressing my contempt for the bitter and hyper-critical caviling among trads who will never say anything good about Holy Father or his pontificate.

As for my foul language...while it's not becoming of a Catholic, it's not gravely sinful as say calumny...which I would argue certain Catholics on here engage in.
:shrug:

:donut: :coffee:
(03-29-2014, 11:19 AM)Tantum Ergo Sacramentum Wrote:
(03-29-2014, 06:22 AM)FatherCekada Wrote: Francis, the "Humility Ham" again, providing the press with another one of his patented Humility Photo-Ops!

Francis the Moslem Foot-Washer, Francis the Back Seat Bus Passenger, Francis the Just-One-of-the-Boys-during-Retreat-Back-Pew-Sitter, Francis the Beer-Can-Opener-Pectoral-Cross-Wearer, Francis the Doc-Martens-Boot-Wearer, etc., etc., etc.

Will photos of these precious moments be put on mugs for Fr. Zuhlsdorf to sell?  :grin:

Can'r anyone see how obviously phony these self-serving photo ops are?

Did anyone else feel ashamed or dirty after reading this?  :pray: Miserere nobis!  :pray:
Yes, that's why I could only manage one word as a response. Any more I would have sunk to the same level of banal sneering.
(03-29-2014, 01:50 PM)triumphguy Wrote:
(03-29-2014, 11:19 AM)Tantum Ergo Sacramentum Wrote:
(03-29-2014, 06:22 AM)FatherCekada Wrote: Francis, the "Humility Ham" again, providing the press with another one of his patented Humility Photo-Ops!

Francis the Moslem Foot-Washer, Francis the Back Seat Bus Passenger, Francis the Just-One-of-the-Boys-during-Retreat-Back-Pew-Sitter, Francis the Beer-Can-Opener-Pectoral-Cross-Wearer, Francis the Doc-Martens-Boot-Wearer, etc., etc., etc.

Will photos of these precious moments be put on mugs for Fr. Zuhlsdorf to sell?  :grin:

Can'r anyone see how obviously phony these self-serving photo ops are?
Did anyone else feel ashamed or dirty after reading this?  :pray: Miserere nobis!  :pray:

Yes, that's why I could only manage one word as a response. Any more I would have sunk to the same level of banal sneering.

Perhaps that's what I should have done.
I can imagine myself crying seeing the video, which I haven't yet because I like to read the posts first.  I would cry because I just love our holy faith.  To see anyone going to confession and see it filmed whether it was purposefully done for selfish reasons or not, moves my heart to the awesomeness and glory of the Most High God.  It is humbling just to witness.  I cry at Mass, at the beauty that Our Lord has blessed us with.  The sacred music,Liturgy, the "smells and bells", truly, for me, there is no discription for.  I love being Catholic.  I love it like nothing else!!
(03-29-2014, 02:00 PM)Tantum Ergo Sacramentum Wrote: I can imagine myself crying seeing the video, which I haven't yet because I like to read the posts first.  I would cry because I just love our holy faith.  To see anyone going to confession and see it filmed whether it was purposefully done for selfish reasons or not, moves my heart to the awesomeness and glory of the Most High God.  It is humbling just to witness.  I cry at Mass, at the beauty that Our Lord has blessed us with.  The sacred music,Liturgy, the "smells and bells", truly, for me, there is no discription for.  I love being Catholic.  I love it like nothing else!!

:)

That's a post I can cry to...if that's hammy? Then call me Porky.
(03-29-2014, 11:47 AM)austenbosten Wrote: Seriously, some trads need to pull the cactus out of their asses...

Almost spit a mouthful of water at my laptop screen because I almost started laughing.....Thanks for brightening up my day!
I'm sure we've all seen pictures, maybe even videos, of Padre Pio pushing through huge crowds to head to the confessional, and maybe been inspired, touched, or encouraged by it.  How is that really different from this video of the Holy Father?  If the argument is that "he's just doing what anybody should do, blah blah blah," then shouldn't we apply the same logic to Padre PIo?  Priests hear confessions.  It's what they do.  He was just doing his job, so we shouldn't think twice about it.  

Nobody here is holding Pope Francis up as a "superpope" because he went to confession. I can't help how I feel; I saw this video and it made me feel good.  Some things make me feel good.  Sometimes I watch the video of Pope Benedict XVI processing out of St. Peter's for the last time as pope to "Tu es Petrus" and I cry like a baby. Lah dee dah.  I think the problem is that, for some, anytime Pope Francis' name is mentioned in a positive light, they begin to make ASSumptions and start attacking.  There was a point in his papacy when Benedict became the "stuffy, stern, old conservative," and from that point on, liberals would die before they said anything positive about him.  Now, Francis has become the "modern, hippy, liberal," and there are some conservatives and trads who will never, ever admit that not everything he does is disastrous.  If Francis would issue a letter tomorrow outlawing Communion reception in the hand and altar girls at Mass, people would roll their eyes and say "ugh wonder what kind of exception he's gonna allow."  I think we've become far to complacent and comfortable with criticizing the Pope.  Let's remember that OBEDIENCE is the norm, not criticism.  Resistance is only acceptable when the Faith is at stake.