Video of Pope Francis going to Confession
(03-30-2014, 10:07 AM)A Catholic Thinker Wrote:
(03-30-2014, 09:06 AM)PrairieMom Wrote:
(03-30-2014, 02:10 AM)Vincentius Wrote: Why did the pope make a "show" of his going to confession?  Very simply, the Sacrament of Penance has gone by the way of the dogs.  Nobody goes anymore.  The line to the confessional no longer exists. 

That makes a very good point. Everyone is talking about "the Francis Effect". Maybe this will be part of it.

I hate to always have to be downer - I really do - but the notion of Francis spurring everyone back to Confession just doesn't jive well with his pontificate.  With his theology.  With the entire post-conciliar New Orientation.

De-facto universal salvation, or something close to it, is still largely the rule of the day.  (Save perhaps for the worst mobsters.)

If Penance is a critical Sacrament, why is there not just no emphasis whatever on conversion to the faith, but a policy dissuading it?

Sure, Francis might suggest that Catholics should go to Confession to become better people.  That is still a shadow of what Catholicism is, and what the Church used to be in practice.

The lines to the confessionals dissipated when the Council was implemented, and, honestly, we're not any closer to reversing that.

I don't disagree, but I like being an optimist.  :)
(03-30-2014, 08:31 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: I don't disagree, but I like being an optimist.  :)

....which I should emulate more.  Not born an optimist, but admire those of you who are!