Tabitha by Jeff Cavins
(04-03-2014, 04:22 PM)Pinkerton Wrote: No offense taken - I appreciate the response.
:)

Quote:I'm having a hard time with this, though, because whenever I'm facing a difficult decision, I often pray that God will reveal the correct course of action for me. That can't be sinful, can it?

I'm not a member of the Magisterium or the hierarchy (thanks be to God!) so what I say is definitely just my opinion. I am often wrong. Please do not be scandalized by me in any way!

Now, I do not believe it is wrong to ask God to reveal the correct course of action for you or for anyone else. That's just normal Providence, and asking for the Father to show you what is good. That's very different from begging for miracles and asking for supernatural signs. The unexpected (and even the expected!) delivery of fresh bread to your door is Providence; the conversion of stones into bread is a miracle. We do not constantly look for the latter, but we do appreciate the former in all its beauty.

Quote:Furthermore, it would seem that the majority of pilgrims to Fatima, Medjugorge, Lourdes, etc., travel with the intent of hopefully experiencing a life-changing, miraculous experience, which seems awfully similar to a "sign". Is this sinful as well?

In my opinion, such trips are signs of desperation mixed with faith. Many will sharply disagree with me, and that's okay. Obviously I don't believe it's sinful to go to Lourdes... I just wish people would make a pilgrimage to the plain old Lord God Almighty in the Tabernacle, for instance.

I guess what I'm questioning or condemning is the constant expectation of miraculous signs and wondrous supernatural occurrences. We rely on the "God of Miracles, not on the miracles of God", if you know what I mean?

Quote:Lastly, didn't St. Therese of Lisieux pray for God to show her a sign which resulted in the conversion of a convicted felon on the gallows?

I do not know much about the Little Flower. Did she ask for God's will to be done, or did she pray for a miracle? Asking for a miracle of conversion of a man's heart to take place is different from asking for signs in the sky, or the transformation of water into wine! :)

BTW, the original subject of the OP is a very good story.  :grin:

Messages In This Thread
Tabitha by Jeff Cavins - by VoxClamantis - 04-01-2014, 07:34 PM
Re: Tabitha by Jeff Cavins - by winoblue1 - 04-03-2014, 01:55 PM
Re: Tabitha by Jeff Cavins - by Pinkerton - 04-03-2014, 02:16 PM
Re: Tabitha by Jeff Cavins - by Fontevrault - 04-03-2014, 02:54 PM
Re: Tabitha by Jeff Cavins - by Heorot - 04-03-2014, 03:11 PM
Re: Tabitha by Jeff Cavins - by Pinkerton - 04-03-2014, 04:22 PM
Re: Tabitha by Jeff Cavins - by Heorot - 04-03-2014, 04:38 PM
Re: Tabitha by Jeff Cavins - by VoxClamantis - 04-03-2014, 06:17 PM