NYT Anti-Religion Cartoon

The fruits of Protestantism are revealed in this NYT cartoon -- which actually has a point. Anyone can start a "religion" (see L. Ron Hubbard) and include all sorts of weirdisms in it. When the Church is demoted to just one choice among many, isn't seen as the Fountain of Truth any more than any other "faith community," then this is what we get. We live in a world in which Wicca (invented in the 20th c.), Satanism, Scientology, and, as far as I know, those who worship the "Flying Spaghetti Monster" are treated equally in the eyes of the government. So religion itself isn't taken seriously any longer by a lot of people, and the Church has no more say over the moral views underlying our laws than anyone else. Way to go, Protestants!

[Image: nytcartoon.png]
This makes me angry, and also amused.

Angry because "Christianity" in general is maligned by the non-denoms, health-and-wealthers, and prosperityites, and because the atheists refuse to make distinctions; to them, all Christians are just Christians. It's the same as seeing radical Muslims blowing things up and saying "ah, Religion at work again!"

Amused because I know this is all Protestantism.
(04-01-2014, 09:41 PM)Heorot Wrote: This makes me angry, and also amused.

Angry because "Christianity" in general is maligned by the non-denoms, health-and-wealthers, and prosperityites, and because the atheists refuse to make distinctions; to them, all Christians are just Christians. It's the same as seeing radical Muslims blowing things up and saying "ah, Religion at work again!"

Amused because I know this is all Protestantism.

BINGO!!!!! Yeah, many of the articles I've seen written are by liberal protestants. They are like blackholes yet so full of it! Hmm.....interesting parallel!