I don't understand the Orthodox schismatics.
The schism was not consummated up until after 1442, though of course many Princes and Bishops in the East were already schismatical before that. From the 11th century up until the 15th century there were many contacts and some clergymen were ordained by the Orthodox and still received as prelates by the Holy See. Without abjuration, I think.

Before 1442 things were more or less political. Of course schism was approximate during the time always, but it was not as explicit as it became after about 1600. 
Well, I don't deny that there was A LOT of politics and drama involved (Patriarch Michael Cerularius trampling Hosts, sack of Constantinopole), but differences in faith, organization and practice were all too present.
Quote:May God bless you richly now nevertheless and provide enough grace for your return to Apostolic unity.

Quote:I shall pray for you.

I will likewise pray for both of you. May our Lord gladden your hearts and keep you and yours.

spasiisochrani Wrote:The Orthodox consider that they are the heirs of patristic Christianity, and they resent it when the Latins act as if Christianity originated at Rome and the Orthodox have to be converted to Roman Catholicism, as if they were Protestants. 

That's how many Orthodox act towards us.
Well I would agree to some extent with the General. In my limited experience with Orthodox people I have had them try several times to convert me to their Faith, something that I have absolutely no intention of doing. But there is also a grudging respect given to Traditional Catholics. In between his attempts to convert me to Orthodoxy the professor I know has also made several inquiries about whether it would be okay for him to come to the SSPX Chapel where I attend. He has said that he is curious about how Latin Rite Catholics used to worship. He has also grumbled in disgust about his experiences with the Novus Ordo. But I think he has some serious problems with the Papacy. Last I spoke to him he was seriously considering sending his autistic son to a Sedevacantist school. kingstowngalway
The priest I correspond with used to be a Presbyterian, but then he decided to convert to Roman Catholicism.
He entered the seminary, and during one Mass (I think it was during Lent, not sure), every person got a strand of fabric, each different in color. Each faithful had to tie his strand with the strands of people who sat next to him, and in the end, they had to tie one big, colorful strand to the altar, as a symbol of unity.
Couple of weeks later, he converted to Eastern Orthodoxy.
Sad indeed, that the NO Catholics are looking more and more like protestants with the passing of each day.
I forgot to mention that this NO Mass occured some 20 years ago...
Silentchapel Wrote:The priest I correspond with used to be a Presbyterian, but then he decided to convert to Roman Catholicism.
He entered the seminary, and during one Mass (I think it was during Lent, not sure), every person got a strand of fabric, each different in color. Each faithful had to tie his strand with the strands of people who sat next to him, and in the end, they had to tie one big, colorful strand to the altar, as a symbol of unity.

Well, that might have done it for me, too.  Still, I find the papal claims too convincing to allow me to take refuge in a church that is not in communion with Rome.
spasiisochrani Wrote:
Silentchapel Wrote:The priest I correspond with used to be a Presbyterian, but then he decided to convert to Roman Catholicism. He entered the seminary, and during one Mass (I think it was during Lent, not sure), every person got a strand of fabric, each different in color. Each faithful had to tie his strand with the strands of people who sat next to him, and in the end, they had to tie one big, colorful strand to the altar, as a symbol of unity.
Well, that might have done it for me, too.  Still, I find the papal claims too convincing to allow me to take refuge in a church that is not in communion with Rome.
here here down with schism and up with St. Peter, Prince of the Apostles! down with schismatics who have stolen Catholic Liturgical Traditions and up with the Rights of Jesus Christ Our God and those of His Catholic Church.