I don't understand the Orthodox schismatics.
Well, I wouldn't call them "schismatics who have stolen Catholic Liturgical Traditions".  They're just using the liturgical traditions their ancestors used before the schism.  And they've kept those traditions much more faithfully than most modern Cathiolics have kept theirs.  The best way to work for reunion is to show them that they do not have to give up being Orthodox (in the true sense) in order to be in full communion with us.
spasiisochrani Wrote:Well, I wouldn't call them "schismatics who have stolen Catholic Liturgical Traditions".  They're just using the liturgical traditions their ancestors used before the schism.  And they've kept those traditions much more faithfully than most modern Cathiolics have kept theirs.  The best way to work for reunion is to show them that they do not have to give up being Orthodox (in the true sense) in order to be in full communion with us.

Many "uniate" churches came back by us leaving them alone and under their won leaders-in union with Rome. IN USA, some reverted back after being attacked for Eastern liturgy and being married, as many Easterners were. We see aggression by Latin Rite during Cyril and Methodius' time (not to say it is all one way either)
mortaliumanimos Wrote:Alas another member of the Holy Catholic Church has abandoned his Mother, the Church, to become Orthodox. Now you do not have to fight the good fight for Tradition within the Catholic Church. You now have your Liturgy and ritual and undoubtedly your conscience is at ease. But, indeed it is saddening to see another soul leave the bosom of the Church. I shall pray for you.

I would not abandon the ship of Peter, but understand how people can get so confused or angry they leave. At least they did not go cultic or Prots.

I was told one time by Jim Likoudis--not sure if this is right or not-that a Catholic can Occ goto Orthodox service and receive sacrements, esp if no Catholic priest in sight (war, distance, plague, etc)
Silentchapel Wrote:I forgot to mention that this NO Mass occured some 20 years ago...

How are you all in Serbia these days?? Not that I approve of cruelty by different people in the former Yugoslavia, but hope you have rebuilt since hte unconstitutional bombing of your country by Clinton and Co. This was really no more than a NWO power grab in my $0.02
The rest of Europe might end up looking like the Serbia, Yugoslavia and the rest of the Balkans if they don't do something about the Muslim immigrants.

Hmm, I've noticed no one has cleared up my confusion on the Eastern Orthodox Schismatics.
Quote:How are you all in Serbia these days?? Not that I approve of cruelty by different people in the former Yugoslavia, but hope you have rebuilt since hte unconstitutional bombing of your country by Clinton and Co. This was really no more than a NWO power grab in my $0.02
Heh, we're doing a lot better. Many people are still not content - they fail to see that you can't rebuild a country in 2 years, after it has been under Communism for some 60 years. Everyone wants so magic quick fix or something, absolutely no patience, sadly... The good news is that religious education is returned to schools (with lectures for Eastern Orthodox, Roman Catholics, Moslems, Evangelicals [note that European Evangelicals are tad different from American ones, at least here]), so a lot of young people are attending churches. I wouldn't know about Roman Catholic ones, but I do know that RC Arcbishop is very prominent in our daily media, and out national television always broadcasts Christmas and Easter Masses.
As for trads, I should note that Catholics here are conservative NOs, so there is no extravaganza during Masses.  Honestly, I used to think that Trads on FE were overreacting somewhat, and it is nearly "natural" for things to get out of hands in the US (especially religious ones), but then I caught this "service" in a Croatian church on Croatian national TV station. There was this woman singing, with laser show above the altar, with Franciscan monks and nuns clapping in the rhythm. The host said something like: "This festival should help the young to discover their faith in a new and innovative way..." Really sad.

Quote:Hmm, I've noticed no one has cleared up my confusion on the Eastern Orthodox Schismatics.
Well, I mostly dealt with that on the bottom of this page, so I felt no need to do the same on two places...
Silentchapel Wrote:
Quote:How are you all in Serbia these days?? Not that I approve of cruelty by different people in the former Yugoslavia, but hope you have rebuilt since hte unconstitutional bombing of your country by Clinton and Co. This was really no more than a NWO power grab in my $0.02
Heh, we're doing a lot better. Many people are still not content - they fail to see that you can't rebuild a country in 2 years, after it has been under Communism for some 60 years. Everyone wants so magic quick fix or something, absolutely no patience, sadly... The good news is that religious education is returned to schools (with lectures for Eastern Orthodox, Roman Catholics, Moslems, Evangelicals [note that European Evangelicals are tad different from American ones, at least here]), so a lot of young people are attending churches. I wouldn't know about Roman Catholic ones, but I do know that RC Arcbishop is very prominent in our daily media, and out national television always broadcasts Christmas and Easter Masses.
As for trads, I should note that Catholics here are conservative NOs, so there is no extravaganza during Masses.  Honestly, I used to think that Trads on FE were overreacting somewhat, and it is nearly "natural" for things to get out of hands in the US (especially religious ones), but then I caught this "service" in a Croatian church on Croatian national TV station. There was this woman singing, with laser show above the altar, with Franciscan monks and nuns clapping in the rhythm. The host said something like: "This festival should help the young to discover their faith in a new and innovative way..." Really sad.

Quote:Hmm, I've noticed no one has cleared up my confusion on the Eastern Orthodox Schismatics.
Well, I mostly dealt with that on the bottom of this page, so I felt no need to do the same on two places...

Good for Serbs!!! Keep on perservering!!

How are Evangelicals different there? They will probably change if they become the majority. We see that here. Look out then for dispensationalist dominated foreign ploicy, restrictions on Catholic and Orthodox Faiths, etc.
Mmm, no.

The other page dealt with the leadership of the Bisho of Rome.

I am arguing about the successor of St. Peter as a representative of Christ's kingship, in continuation of the Old Testament's House of David giving power to the highest of servants.

Quote:How are Evangelicals different there? They will probably change if they become the majority.

Well, let me put it this way. Here, Evangelical churches look like Catholic churches more than some liberal NO churches. Also, external stereothypes are nonexistant: tele-evangelists, excesive requests for donations, "HALLELUAH!"s, dances and similar nonsense during services...
Here, we have couple of mainstream religions: Eastern Orthodoxy, Roman Catholicism, Islam, Judaism, Lutheranism. Anything outside of these is regarded as: 1) individual's fad and sad attempt to be different 2) dangerous cult. Cults (as seen by Serbs) are: Jehova's Witnesses, Whatever-Day's Adventists, Mormons, Pentecostals, and many other that are generally seen as 'denominations' in the US. The goverment works hard to supress these cults - it can't ban them, but it does a lot to supress them through pamphlets, religious education and lectures. Examples.

1) Mormons. At least here in Serbia, they take their communion with bread and water. A friend of mine used to be with them, but then she returned to Orthodoxy.
2) Pentecostals. They are generally seen as lunatics. Supposing that someone has heard about them, that is.
3) Adventists. Problem. They've got their theological seminary here, and quite a number of 'prayer houses'. Very dangerous for non practicing Orthodox (and Catholics). Their typical strategy is: "Why do you listen to those silly priests who pray to icons, which is against 2nd commandment, in a language you don't understand [hymns are generally sung in church slavonics], and why do you have Liturgies on Sunday when you should have them on Saturday, like the commandments say?"
4) Jehova's Witnesses. The most dangerous cult around. Universally despised. Some of their strategies are quite demonic. Example 1: They enter some insane asylum and befriend someone who' mentally deranged. The parents of the patient are happy that someone is taking care of their child, so they place Jehova's Witnesses in their will, leaving them their entire estate. Example 2: They make friends with lonely old people. The children find out that the last will was changed (in Witnesses' favor) only when it's too late. Also, JW have the famous nasty habit of going door-to-door. Last and not least, they're famous for dropping their "hello how are you" facade once they find someone who resists their evil lure, turning into furious demons they really are.

Both Witnesses and Adventists like giving out plamphlets, especially around elementary/high schools, thus attracting young people. Fourtunatelly, this practice will reach a dead end once the religious education is in full swing (aka: once the teacher can explain that no one is praying to an icon but to the God/Saint on the icon and so on). 

Silentchapel Wrote:Patriarch Michael Cerularius trampling Hosts, sack of Constantinopole
  Cerularius was not even Orthodox, he was a Calvinist heretic, so I'm not surprised!