I don't understand the Orthodox schismatics.
CampeadorShin Wrote:A couple of questions to the Eastern Orthodox schismatics:

1. Christ is king of kings, correct?

2. In the book of Isaiah we see in the 22nd chapter the 22nd verse: "...And I will lay the key of the house of David upon his shoulder: and he shall open, and none shall shut: and he shall shut, and none shall open..."  Here we see a servant being given power over the rest of the king's servants.

Does this not fit the description of Christ (king and head of the House of David) giving power to loosen and bind things in the Gospel of St. Matthew 16:19?

Umm... you forgot some verses.

Revelation 3:7-8
"And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write:He who is holy, who is true, who has the key of David, who opens and no one will shut, and who shuts and no one opens, says this: I know your deeds Behold, I have put before you an open door which no one can shut, because you have a little power, and have kept My word, and have not denied My name."

I believe the proper orthodox answer would be this: that the keys were given first to Peter and then to the other Apostles, and that this should support that the Bishop of Rome, successor of St. Peter, is to be "first among equals", then of course the Bishop of the New Rome, the Patriarch of Constantinople, would be second of equals, et cetera.  The Pope, in their ideal reunion of the east and west, would have a special place but could not be said to have a total final say in eastern matters, nor would they want to accept his infallibility et cetera.

The idea of Peter as rock; now that's something I think orthodox theology of merely placing the successor of Peter as 'first among equals' (the way they understand it) does not deal with.  We could accept an equality of patriarchs placing the pope as first among equals, but we must also insist (which they will not accept, thus sustaining the schism) that the pope is also the rock of unity who has ultimate doctrinal decisive power.
Aloysius Wrote:We could accept an equality of patriarchs placing the pope as first among equals, but we must also insist (which they will not accept, thus sustaining the schism) that the pope is also the rock of unity who has ultimate doctrinal decisive power.
Hmmm. Orthodox would never accept Papal Infalibility, since it directly sprouts from doctrine of Papal Supremacy (over all other Bishops and Patriarchs). Also, ultimate doctrinal decisive power is essentialy infailibility. The Pope would definetly be the 'rock' of unity should union be achieved, and first among equals. He esentially has 1/6 of humanity under his jurisdiction (but sadly, in reality, the number is far less). But regardless, I believe that union is impossible - tempting as though that concept may sound. Esentially, Roman Catholics would never drop one of their infalible doctrines, whereas Orthodox would never accept 'new' dogmas.