Poll: What Should the Topic of the First Formal FE Debate Be?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What Should the Topic of the First Formal FE Debate Be?

NOTE: You can vote for TWO options!

This poll will be here for only THREE days. Whichever option gets the most votes will be the topic that will be debated. If there is a tie, then I will flip a coin (as many times as necessary if there is a three-way tie, four-way tie, etc.)

If this goes well, we can have a debate for the tied topics after this first debate. Sound good?

Once a topic is chosen, we'll have to figure out who will be debating whom! Fun!

Well, so far, it looks as if "Can Vatican II can be reconciled with Tradition?" will likely be the topic (though things can change, and the poll stays open 'til Friday, the 11th!).

If the above IS the debate question that comes out on top, who should do the debating?  Any volunteers? Any pair folks out there would LIKE to see go at it?

As much as I will probably regret it, I'll volunteer for the 'No' side. :)
I can't help but notice that certain hot topic issues to do with human sexuality are missing from the list! I hope the Fisheaters debate with Catholic Answers option wins - a bit of online ecumenism, and a way to seriously get to the root of ideological divisions between fora.
I'll take the "Yes" side.  :)
I'm very much looking forward to these debates, whichever one wins.  Sadly, I'm not (yet) qualified to debate on any of those topics. :)

Quick question though, do you have a set of debate 'rules' that will be followed yet?  I know some debates can get quite complex, so it might be something to start thinking about now.

I'm sure there must be some official rules out there for written debates like this, but I don't know. :)

Thanks for setting this up!

Michael
The topic of the first debate will be "Can Vatican II be Reconciled With Tradition?"

The rules of the debate:

1. Each side makes a brief, one paragraph introduction of around 500 words.

2. The first side (determined by me using some random method) makes a post outlining his argument.

3. The second side can then cross-examine the first side (getting answers only, not responding to them) only for the purposes of clarification -- NOT debate.

4. The second side gives their main arguments.

5. The first side can then cross-examine the first debater, per #3 above.

6. The second debater writes a rebuttal post.

7. The first debater writes a rebuttal post.

8. The first side rebuts again.

9. The second side rebuts again.

10. The winner is declared by poll.

So, we have Prie-die arguing for the YES side. Who wants to argue that Tradition and Vatican II are NOT reconcilable?

NOTE that if someone else wants to debate the YES side, give your name! We can pick among a pool of volunteer debaters for either side!

If it's ok to nominate someone to the "no" side of this debate, I think Father Cekada would be an excellent choice.
(04-13-2014, 01:13 AM)jhfromsf68 Wrote: If it's ok to nominate someone to the "no" side of this debate, I think Father Cekada would be an excellent choice.

It's totally fine to nominate someone!  Fr. Ceckada, are you reading this? If so, are you interested?
Jovan already volunteered for the "No" side.  :LOL: