Burning Blessed Palms
I just spent an hour on the phone with one of our traditional priest from parish.  I love this priest and we have talked over the years.  I made the comment that I planned on picking up a lot of blessed palms on Palm Sunday.  I explained that since I have had some many serious and difficult struggles that on many night I burn blessed palms before pray before going to sleep. 
He said he never heard of such a thing.  He said that you get blessed palms on Palm Sunday and you put them behind a cross and implied that I probably was miss informed.  However, I am not mistaken.  We went to the Tridentine Latin Mass every day.  We had Benediction every Friday.  Every first Friday of the month we went to confession, Mass, Holy Communion, Rosary, and Benediction.  We studied the The Baltimore Catechism every single day.  I went to Catholic School every day for 10 years .
Now am made to feel like I am practicing Wikka because I light candles, light incense, bless myself and my bed with holy water and burn blessed palms. 
I must  be insane.   I do novenas to St. Jude and other saints.  I listen to bible recording while I am falling asleep. 
All of these practices are practices that I have lived and done from birth. 
I go to Mass in the most traditional parish in the world.  I am deeply hurt that I am made to feel like a common novus ordos.
Have any of you Burned Blessed Palm in crisis.  Or am I just retarded ?
Daniel
I must be schizophrenic
Never heard of burning blessed palms, but I can assure you that, with the exception of listening to Bible recordings before I go to sleep (I absolutely hate audio books of any sort), I do all of those things! :)
I have burned palms before...I heard about the practice on fisheaters forum sometime back in 2010-11. my advice is that if your priest says no to it, you should give it up as a practice...not because it is wrong  but because the practice of obedience obtains more grace than the burning of palms... my2cents
At our parish we burn blessed palms from last year's Palm Sunday to make the new ashes for Ash Wednesday. It's done once a year, on the eve of Ash Wednesday. I never heard of burning palms as a private devotion. Of course, I'm just a "common novus ordos."  :P
I have heard of it as (I believe) a primarily Italian custom; my Polish family did not do that, but that doesn't mean anything more than that they didn't do it.

See http://www.fisheaters.com/palmbranches.html

From Catholic Culture.Org:

It is an old practice to burn blessed palm branches in times of forthcoming natural disasters, such as hurricanes or tornadoes, asking God to avert or lessen the impending disaster. This practice is not recommended, because of the instruction in the Directory on Popular Piety:

The faithful, however, should be instructed as to the meaning of this celebration so that they might grasp its significance. They should be opportunely reminded that the important thing is participation at the procession and not only the obtaining of palm or olive branches. Palms or olive branches should not be kept as amulets, or for therapeutic or magical reasons to dispel evil spirits or to prevent the damage these cause in the fields or in the homes, all of which can assume a certain superstitious guise.
Palms and olive branches are kept in the home as a witness to faith in Jesus Christ, the messianic king, and in his Paschal Victory."

https://www.catholicculture.org/culture/...fm?id=1035

The Directory:

http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/l...um=4620#67
(04-12-2014, 06:07 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: From Catholic Culture.Org:

It is an old practice to burn blessed palm branches in times of forthcoming natural disasters, such as hurricanes or tornadoes, asking God to avert or lessen the impending disaster. This practice is not recommended, because of the instruction in the Directory on Popular Piety:

The faithful, however, should be instructed as to the meaning of this celebration so that they might grasp its significance. They should be opportunely reminded that the important thing is participation at the procession and not only the obtaining of palm or olive branches. Palms or olive branches should not be kept as amulets, or for therapeutic or magical reasons to dispel evil spirits or to prevent the damage these cause in the fields or in the homes, all of which can assume a certain superstitious guise.
Palms and olive branches are kept in the home as a witness to faith in Jesus Christ, the messianic king, and in his Paschal Victory."

https://www.catholicculture.org/culture/...fm?id=1035

The Directory:

http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/l...um=4620#67

Why go to that place -- which gives FE a red light warning, telling people not visit this place -- when I've got the info here on FE -- and when they "dumb down" such historic Catholic devotions as "not recommended" or "superstitious"?
(04-12-2014, 06:16 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: Why go to that place -- which gives FE a red light warning, telling people not visit this place -- when I've got the info here on FE -- and when they "dumb down" such historic Catholic devotions as "not recommended" or "superstitious"?

Mea culpa! Sorry, Vox! I did a Google search for 'burning blessed palms' and it was the first thing that came up. Full disclosure: I had to close a begging popup before I could view the article. :LOL: