The Feast Day of St. Drogo (Ugly People, Holla!)
Though I know that the liturgical celebrations of Holy Week take precedence, today is the feast day of my patron saint, St. Drogo, and I want to honor him.

While looking for a confirmation name, I came across the bizarre and touching story of this twelfth century Flemish saint. He is the patron saint of unattractive people or, as I understand it, outcasts. He should know. Having suffered from a hideous deformity for most of his life (one that he acquired while on a pilgrimage!), he hid away in a cell attached to a church-- a cell in which he lived and from which he received his only sustenance for the last forty years of his life: barley, water, and the Holy Eucharist.

Having felt like an outcast for most of my life (though not because of any physical deformities) and, thus, having a particular soft spot for misfits myself, I was immediately drawn to him.

For some reason, he is also the patron saint of coffee house owners. As the wags at Cracked.com have put it, this is probably because coffee houses are where ugly people go to finish their novels.

Anyway, St. Drogo, ora pro nobis
:grin:

Thanks for giving me a chuckle this morning.  I needed one. 

There are days I want to hide myself away from the world as well. 

Will have to look up good St. Drogo. 

"For some reason, he is also the patron saint of coffee house owners. As the wags at Cracked.com have put it, this is probably because coffee houses are where ugly people go to finish their novels."

Hahahaha! That's great! As a frustrated novelist, and an aspiring anchorite, I can relate to St. Drogo.

Although I'm not ugly, in fact, I've been told I'm quite beautiful. Heh. Can't win 'em all.  :P
The patron saint of Starbucks
Funny - I should mention that in Spanish - at least in Peru, a "Drogo" is somebody who is addicted to drugs (Droga is the Spanish word for drug).  So if somebody here would try to start a dulia veneration to Saint Drogo, people would think he is rooting for drugs.
happy feast day to you too!  As a fellow misfit I also had an affection for St. Drogo, too.

(04-17-2014, 12:02 PM)voltape Wrote: Funny - I should mention that in Spanish - at least in Peru, a "Drogo" is somebody who is addicted to drugs (Droga is the Spanish word for drug).  So if somebody here would try to start a dulia veneration to Saint Drogo, people would think he is rooting for drugs.

Very interesting, voltape--thanks.

And thanks to you, JubilateDeo83--this song takes me back to gathering around the radio with my fellow homeschoolers: we thought we were bad listening to a song with the word "hell" in it, not knowing that this was the edited version.
all right a saint for ugly people :LOL: