breastfeeding in church and in public
Since baby bottles and pacifiers didn't exist until modern times, what did nursing mothers do at mass?  It seems like most of the moms at my parish use a nursing cover or bottle feed but I can't get my baby to latch on with a blanket on her head.  Nursing is not easy for me and I usually can't get it to work without seeing what I am doing.  And it has to be in a specific position.  Last year, I was on an Institute of Christ the King retreat in Chicago and mentioned that I'd love to establish a nursing corner at our oratory and one of the women said "Oh, we just nurse them out in the open, right during Mass." It made me think of the times before pews, parish centers, bottles, breast pumps, a woman's breast was all she could offer to console a fussy infant.  What is normal at your parish?  Do you think it is immodest for a woman to nurse without a cover?
No. If you where a top/dress designed specifically for discreet nursing people can't even tell. I would nurse my babies in public like this all the time and people would ask to hold them etc. and were shocked when I replied that I needed to finish feeding them first. They had no idea!

Clothing like this: http://www.milknursingwear.com/
Didn't the Pope say go ahead and feed the baby? He didn't add any qualifiers to it. Baby's gotta eat!
(04-20-2014, 09:48 PM)divinesilence80 Wrote: Didn't the Pope say go ahead and feed the baby? He didn't add any qualifiers to it. Baby's gotta eat!

Yes.  he also has said a lot of other weird things so...  I could see how some traditional Catholics would not pay attention to every off the cuff remark.  I do agree with him though, a baby's needs can't wait and breast milk is so much healthier than formula.
I nurse openly in public be it church or home or in the grocery store in the states in mexico well you need to cover up more I usually wear a camisole under my shirt so I can nurse without exposing my stomach or too much skin, I covered up with the tail of my rebozo when I was in the Basilica of Guadalupe last year, but I nursed openly last month at the La Leche Shrine in ST. Augustine. I mean people shouldn't get offended breasts are made by God for feeding babies, only our society sexualizes them which is very sad since this stigma actually discourages many from nursing thier babies. I have only been asked to cover up once and that was in church here in mexico since some ladies claimed it was distracting "thier halter tops and garish makeup aren't apparently"
(04-21-2014, 03:36 AM)seavila1988 Wrote: I nurse openly in public be it church or home or in the grocery store in the states in mexico well you need to cover up more I usually wear a camisole under my shirt so I can nurse without exposing my stomach or too much skin, I covered up with the tail of my rebozo when I was in the Basilica of Guadalupe last year, but I nursed openly last month at the La Leche Shrine in ST. Augustine. I mean people shouldn't get offended breasts are made by God for feeding babies, only our society sexualizes them which is very sad since this stigma actually discourages many from nursing thier babies. I have only been asked to cover up once and that was in church here in mexico since some ladies claimed it was distracting "thier halter tops and garish makeup aren't apparently"

Honestly, the baby is a natural cover. Some of them are quite greedy too from what I hear!
I was hesitant nursing my babies in public with #1, although I did it. With #2 just a few weeks old, I sat at the back of the church nursing her when she became urgently/angerly hungry (she's that kinda kid). Bad spot on my part, as Mass ended a few minutes later and the entire parish filed past me on the way out, LOL!

An elderly lady stopped and told me how nice it was to see Moms nursing their babies in public again. She tend bent down and kissed my nursing baby. I've never seen the lady before or since.

No one thought twice about nursing their babies in public before pretty much WWII.

Me and a few other mommas nurse openly in church up until toddlerhood. I put a limit at around 18 months for nursing in church and make them wait (I routinely nurse for 2-2.5 years).

A good resource is Breastfeeding and Catholic Motherhood: God's Plan for You and Your Baby by Sheila Kippley http://www.amazon.com/Breastfeeding-Cath...1933184043. She quotes JPII quite extensively, but also other church fathers. I found it to be an amazing resource.
I would imagine it was the sexual revolution which, ironically, made it a faux-pas to feed publicly. It turned all bodily things relevant to sex.
"Punishment is justice for the unjust." Saint Augustine of Hippo
Breasts certainly do play a part in human sexuality. Men are naturally attracted to them, even in Africa where the woman are topless. Nipples are erogenous zones. Breasts are a part of foreplay. However, we don't have to be ashamed or embarrassed about these things. That reaction comes from our culture's attempt to heighten the eroticism of breasts, as they did in burlesque and peep shows, Hugh Hefner and Playboy. They created this "peekaboo" attitude that makes sex (and breasts) "naughty."
(04-22-2014, 10:54 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: Breasts certainly do play a part in human sexuality. Men are naturally attracted to them, even in Africa where the woman are topless. Nipples are erogenous zones. Breasts are a part of foreplay. However, we don't have to be ashamed or embarrassed about these things. That reaction comes from our culture's attempt to heighten the eroticism of breasts, as they did in burlesque and peep shows, Hugh Hefner and Playboy. They created this "peekaboo" attitude that makes sex (and breasts) "naughty."

That's not what I heard. I've watched the Discover Channel specials on these tribes and the men are not walking around with erections despite having all those breasts around them. I do agree with the last part though.