World Catholic Population
The world’s Catholic population grew in 2013 by slightly more than the overall population, the latest Statistical Yearbook of the Church reports.

The number of Catholic priests also rose in 2012 (the last year for which final statistics are available), as did the number of deacons. However the number of women religious continued a long decline, and the number of seminarians, which had risen in recent years, fell off slightly.

The Yearbook records a population of 1.228 billion Catholics at the close of 2012. That count is probably low by several million, the book notes, because Church officials were unable to supply an accurate count of Catholics in nations where the Church suffers political repression, such as China and North Korea.

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/head...ryid=21310

And yet, we still have threads like this:

[Image: fcredsquare.gif]  Vatican accused of “torture” in latest UN attack
[Image: fcredsquare.gif]  Why Is The Media Silent About The Crucifixion Of Christians By Radical Jihadists
[Image: fcredsquare.gif]  Wall Street Journal: How the 'Jesus' Wife' Hoax Fell Apart (after having been brought up again, after two years, conveniently at Easter)

Amazing, is it not?

(05-06-2014, 03:53 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: And yet, we still have threads like this:

[Image: fcredsquare.gif]  Vatican accused of “torture” in latest UN attack
[Image: fcredsquare.gif]  Why Is The Media Silent About The Crucifixion Of Christians By Radical Jihadists
[Image: fcredsquare.gif]  Wall Street Journal: How the 'Jesus' Wife' Hoax Fell Apart (after having been brought up again, after two years, conveniently at Easter)

Amazing, is it not?

Satan knows his time is short. 
I was shocked to learn that the Diocese of Lincoln Nebraska has 96,000 Catholics, 150 priests, 44 seminarians and 141 religious sisters.  What are they doing there, that the rest of us are not doing?   
(05-07-2014, 02:34 PM)Landless Laborer Wrote: I was shocked to learn that the Diocese of Lincoln Nebraska has 96,000 Catholics, 150 priests, 44 seminarians and 141 religious sisters.  What are they doing there, that the rest of us are not doing?     

there's nothign to do  but milk cows and pray the rosary all day? 
(05-07-2014, 02:34 PM)Landless Laborer Wrote: I was shocked to learn that the Diocese of Lincoln Nebraska has 96,000 Catholics, 150 priests, 44 seminarians and 141 religious sisters.  What are they doing there, that the rest of us are not doing?     

Here's what I learned about their Bishop (Conley) from Wikipedia:

In May 2009, Conley wrote a personal letter to the Rev. John Jenkins, C.S.C., president of Notre Dame University, to express his opposition to the University's decision to have President Barack Obama deliver its commencement speech and receive an honorary degree.

Bishop Conley is a supporter of the Extraordinary form of the Roman Rite. Speaking at the Midwest Theological Forum in 2011 he said, "I have great love and appreciation for the Tridentine, or ‘extraordinary form’ of the Mass. But I also see how the ordinary form, the Novus Ordo, has nourished and sanctified the spiritual lives of countless souls over the past 40 plus years." "And yet", he commented, "something has been lost. Something of the beauty and grandeur of the liturgy. Something of the reverence, the mystery, the sense of the transcendent … the problem is not the Novus Ordo — but the license that people sometimes take in celebrating it. I would add that another big part of the problem has been the translations we’ve been using. There is a banal, pedestrian quality to much of the language."
(05-07-2014, 08:21 PM)phattonez Wrote:

Here's what I learned about their Bishop (Conley) from Wikipedia:

In May 2009, Conley wrote a personal letter to the Rev. John Jenkins, C.S.C., president of Notre Dame University, to express his opposition to the University's decision to have President Barack Obama deliver its commencement speech and receive an honorary degree.

Bishop Conley is a supporter of the Extraordinary form of the Roman Rite. Speaking at the Midwest Theological Forum in 2011 he said, "I have great love and appreciation for the Tridentine, or ‘extraordinary form’ of the Mass. But I also see how the ordinary form, the Novus Ordo, has nourished and sanctified the spiritual lives of countless souls over the past 40 plus years." "And yet", he commented, "something has been lost. Something of the beauty and grandeur of the liturgy. Something of the reverence, the mystery, the sense of the transcendent … the problem is not the Novus Ordo — but the license that people sometimes take in celebrating it. I would add that another big part of the problem has been the translations we’ve been using. There is a banal, pedestrian quality to much of the language."

Well, gosh-golly-gee, WHAT a coincidence! :P

Isn't that where the FSSP have their seminary? If so, it might explain some of the numbers. Either way, if you do things right, there will be vocations.
(05-06-2014, 03:32 AM)Poche Wrote: The world’s Catholic population grew in 2013 by slightly more than the overall population, the latest Statistical Yearbook of the Church reports.

The number of Catholic priests also rose in 2012 (the last year for which final statistics are available), as did the number of deacons. However the number of women religious continued a long decline, and the number of seminarians, which had risen in recent years, fell off slightly.

The Yearbook records a population of 1.228 billion Catholics at the close of 2012. That count is probably low by several million, the book notes, because Church officials were unable to supply an accurate count of Catholics in nations where the Church suffers political repression, such as China and North Korea.

Self styled "cafeteria Catholics", formerly called heretics or Protestant are, unfortunately, included in that 1B+ catholic figure.  Case in point, at last count, >80% of "Catholics" used contraception. 

Faithful Catholics that believe and desire to adhere to Catholic dogma and doctrine is likely less than 10M globally.  Sad.
(05-08-2014, 12:56 AM)onosurf Wrote:
(05-06-2014, 03:32 AM)Poche Wrote: The world’s Catholic population grew in 2013 by slightly more than the overall population, the latest Statistical Yearbook of the Church reports.

Self styled "cafeteria Catholics", formerly called heretics or Protestant are, unfortunately, included in that 1B+ catholic figure.   Case in point, at last count, >80% of "Catholics" used contraception. 

Faithful Catholics that believe and desire to adhere to Catholic dogma and doctrine is likely less than 10M globally.  Sad.
I haave some news for you. All Catholics have commited sin at one time or another. That 's why we have the sacrament of confession.