Harvard Black Mass ?!?!
(05-07-2014, 06:00 PM)Fontevrault Wrote: :grin:  glad to help!  Honestly, I've been feeling I'll since I read about this horrible thing.  So . . .

I have an idea.  How about a Fisheaters rosary offered in reparation for this blasphemy?  I was thinking of fasting on Monday too.

Fasting sounds like a good idea. And lots of spiritual Communions. Poor Jesus.  :((
(05-07-2014, 06:00 PM)Fontevrault Wrote: :grin:  glad to help!  Honestly, I've been feeling I'll since I read about this horrible thing.  So . . .

I have an idea.  How about a Fisheaters rosary offered in reparation for this blasphemy?  I was thinking of fasting on Monday too.

I'll pray a Rosary this week. Also I skip lunch during work (though it's usually so I can leave earlier) could that count as a fast?  :Hmm:
(05-07-2014, 01:05 PM)Fontevrault Wrote: These people have me pissed.  If ever my child were to want to attend Harvard, I'd decline to pay.  I can't believe this is considered even remotely appropriate.  I feel like I'm going to vomit.

“Yes we will use a Consecrated Host” at Harvard “Black Mass”
May 7, 2014 By Elizabeth Scalia 5 Comments

Photosource Harvard Campus Reform
Following up on this post, I have made a couple of phone calls to the The Cambridge Queen’s Head where Madelyn, an events manager, first promised to “research this”, saying that her computers were down. During a subsequent conversation, sounding very flustered, she and told me she had no comment to offer at the moment. Confirming that she is the Events manager, she promised a response later today.
She did confirm to another caller that the Harvard Cultural Exchange is having an event there, on May 12.
UPDATE: I just spoke to Priya Dua, PR director for The Satanic Temple and she has confirmed that yes, they have obtained and will use a Consecrated Host during this “re-enactment”. She is hopefully putting me in touch with someone who will answer my questions about how the Host was obtained, what they think they’re doing by using a Consecrated, as opposed to unconsecrated Host, and more.
On its Facebook page, the Harvard Extension says it is looking into things.

Stay tuned…this is either as real as it gets or an elaborate game. Or perhaps both. I am aware that the only source we have concerning the use of a Consecrated Host is the Satanic Temple, and that they could simply be looking for publicity.
Meanwhile: Harvard Extension channels Pilate. Black Mass, Shinto Tea Ceremony, what’s the diff? It’s academic! :-)

This is truly awful! Is there a link about this, I would love to send it to someone else, but they will not believe it without a link..... Thanks.
(05-07-2014, 06:52 PM)DeoGratias72 Wrote:
(05-07-2014, 01:05 PM)Fontevrault Wrote: These people have me pissed.  If ever my child were to want to attend Harvard, I'd decline to pay.  I can't believe this is considered even remotely appropriate.  I feel like I'm going to vomit.

“Yes we will use a Consecrated Host” at Harvard “Black Mass”
May 7, 2014 By Elizabeth Scalia 5 Comments

Photosource Harvard Campus Reform
Following up on this post, I have made a couple of phone calls to the The Cambridge Queen’s Head where Madelyn, an events manager, first promised to “research this”, saying that her computers were down. During a subsequent conversation, sounding very flustered, she and told me she had no comment to offer at the moment. Confirming that she is the Events manager, she promised a response later today.
She did confirm to another caller that the Harvard Cultural Exchange is having an event there, on May 12.
UPDATE: I just spoke to Priya Dua, PR director for The Satanic Temple and she has confirmed that yes, they have obtained and will use a Consecrated Host during this “re-enactment”. She is hopefully putting me in touch with someone who will answer my questions about how the Host was obtained, what they think they’re doing by using a Consecrated, as opposed to unconsecrated Host, and more.
On its Facebook page, the Harvard Extension says it is looking into things.

Stay tuned…this is either as real as it gets or an elaborate game. Or perhaps both. I am aware that the only source we have concerning the use of a Consecrated Host is the Satanic Temple, and that they could simply be looking for publicity.
Meanwhile: Harvard Extension channels Pilate. Black Mass, Shinto Tea Ceremony, what’s the diff? It’s academic! :-)

This is truly awful! Is there a link about this, I would love to send it to someone else, but they will not believe it without a link..... Thanks.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/michael-...tanic-mass

http://www.vice.com/read/unmasking-lucie...nic-temple
(05-07-2014, 03:38 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote: I've read Scalia's post in which she relates the conversation she had with Greaves (the fella who runs the satanic “temple”).
One of the reasons he gives for not getting a consecrates Host is because, given that his crowd don't believe in it, it would be probably too much work to do.
Now, isn't this ironic? They construct a temple, build bronze statues, are planning a black “mass”, so on and so forth; but getting a consecrated Host, which would require sitting for 30min in a Mass in some liberal parish and taking the Host in the hands, etc., now that would be too much trouble!

On a more serious note, that is all very sinister indeed. It doesn't matter if they don't believe it, its still sinister. And maybe the devil himself is a materialist; David Hart plays with this idea in his short story The Devil and Pierre Gernet – and its not really that far-fetched if one sees that these revolutionary ideas such as the creative power of destruction and evil are really diabolical ideas.
Yes, I think there's more sinister stuff going on with these sort of people than with the slavish satanist that gives himself to satan as if he were a god.

By the way, there's a pretty scary story about people fooling around with consecrated Hosts here:
http://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/201...2qLd66VvVM

Not to derail the thread, but I wasn't aware that Hart had written any fiction. I'll have to check it out when I get the time.
(05-07-2014, 04:50 PM)loggats Wrote:
(05-07-2014, 03:57 PM)AlphaOmega Wrote:
(05-07-2014, 02:50 PM)loggats Wrote: Isn't a "black mass" where a "priest" (because it's an ontological nature rather than a ministry, say one and all) "validly but illicitly" confects the Eucharist?

loggats, if you have an argument to make against the ontological nature of the priesthood, please make it.  The catechism states:

Catechism of the Catholic Church Wrote:1582  As in the case of Baptism and Confirmation this share in Christ's office is granted once for all. The sacrament of Holy Orders, like the other two, confers an indelible spiritual character and cannot be repeated or conferred temporarily.

1583  It is true that someone validly ordained can, for grave reasons, be discharged from the obligations and functions linked to ordination, or can be forbidden to exercise them; but he cannot become a layman again in the strict sense, because the character imprinted by ordination is for ever. The vocation and mission received on the day of his ordination mark him permanently.

I think the fact that what you've quoted says "vocation and mission" and not "nature" is interesting in itself. A priest is a priest because of the exercise of mission and vocation - a priest who is "laicized" is a case in point.

It doesn't need to say the word "nature" specifically.  The catechism refers to an "indelible spiritual character":  this is ontological (i.e. having to do with the nature of a thing) by definition.

A priest who is laicized is still a priest.  That's what he is, essentially and for all eternity, whether he chooses to make wise use of this gift or not.  When we are baptized and/or confirmed, our souls are marked indelibly in a similar way (again whether we remain faithful to Christ and His Church or whether we don't).

Why do you have a problem with this?

Some more development:

http://catholicpreaching.com/letter-to-h...f-harvard/
I used to know a bunch of folks who were either interested in or practicing some kind of satanism, mostly the "le vey" kind. These were all guys involved in the underground black and death metal scene. Back then most were not actively engaged in what is called "theistic satanism" but from what I gather from reading metal zines and band interviews today there is more of an interest in satanism of the theistic variety...meaning active worshipping of dark forces. I think the more mainstream blackish metal group Gorgoroth is a case in point, with members actively engaged in theistic satanism. This also makes me think of the late Jon Nodveidt (spelling?) of black metal act Dissection,a man who killed himself in a circle surrounded by candles and satanic imagery. He belonged to the Temple of Set or some other satanic group.
MeanGene, yes he did, pretty good stuff.

lumine,
Quote:Some more development:

http://catholicpreaching.com/letter-to-h...f-harvard/
President Faust, now that's an appropriate name!
Just finished reading the Vice Magazine interview. What I find interesting in the midst of the appalling is Lucien's perceptive understanding of political plurality, or, rather, his perceptive understanding of how to make political plurality work for him. If we are going to use the language of rights and operate within that suspect philosophical framework, this is the result: we have no true basis on which to object to such public displays of diversity. 

However, I wonder...Is there where Our Lord's injunction to be as wise as serpents applies? If our enemies are making the system work for them, how do we make it work for the Church, so to speak?