There are no longer any real Catholic public intellectuals.
(06-08-2014, 08:58 PM)austenbosten Wrote: I don't know, I see Christopher A Ferrara and Charles Columbe; as intellectuals.

I think they're too obscure to be considered public intellectuals. Outside trad circles very few people would know about Ferrara and Coulombe.

Quote:  Then you have the people who argue against evolution from a philosophical point of view, which I believe to be the more right way to go after all it makes little point driving home the Bible to people who don't believe in its authenticity to begin with, that is where reason will come in and be important.  Focusing on the illogicity in evolution, and really how weak many of the claims are (and there are a many), puts the evolutionists back on the defensive.  To me, that is the greatest need a Catholic intellectual, is someone who can put the enemies of Christ on the defensive and eventually crush them like Ivan Drago telling Rocky that he will crush him (except this time, we actually do crush them). 

Here is part one of a series of videos with William F Buckley and others debating a team of scientists (including a Catholic scientist, and, I think, one atheist philosopher) on evolution.  Buckley tried to go "your way" and argue from a philosophical point of view.  He did a horrible job.  The evolution side was much more convincing at proving their points.

(06-08-2014, 10:33 PM)Pacman Wrote:
(06-08-2014, 08:58 PM)austenbosten Wrote: I don't know, I see Christopher A Ferrara and Charles Columbe; as intellectuals.

I think they're too obscure to be considered public intellectuals. Outside trad circles very few people would know about Ferrara and Coulombe.

Okay, Brent Bozell III, head of the Media Research Council and George Wiegel...you certainly could claim Peter Kreeft.
Pat Buchanan
(06-09-2014, 08:13 PM)feelings Wrote: Pat Buchanan

:doh: Gah....how could I forget?
I know I'm going to get hammered for this one  :afraidsmiley:  Newt Gingrich? 

what makes someone a "real" Catholic anyway?  Doesn't take CITH?  Only attends TLM? 
(06-13-2014, 06:31 PM)catholicschoolmom Wrote: I know I'm going to get hammered for this one  :afraidsmiley:   Newt Gingrich? 

what makes someone a "real" Catholic anyway?  Doesn't take CITH?  Only attends TLM? 

Gack. I can't consider any sort of neo-con an "intellectual."

(06-13-2014, 06:31 PM)catholicschoolmom Wrote: I know I'm going to get hammered for this one  :afraidsmiley:   Newt Gingrich? 

He's more of a politician, than an intellectual. He's smart and a good orator, I'll give you that.

Pope Benedict xv
I think it was Weber who pointed out that the reason why Jewish intellectuals are more prosperous than Catholic intellectuals is because Catholic intellectuals tend to live consecrated lives and leave no offspring.