Is This Allowed?
Quite recently I went to Mass and noticed that the priest had a new stole. It was white, with groups of narrow blue horizontal stripes woven into the fabric so that they "matched" down the sides, and white fringe hanging all along the narrow ends.

It looked exactly like this: http://www.merriam-webster.com/art/dict/tallith.htm except no stars of David, and the fringe was shorter.

This seems really off to me, and I'm wondering if it's allowed. And just so we're all onthe same page, I know that the first Mass was a seder meal, and that te first Catholics were Jews, etc.  :Hmm:
I don't know much about it, but I would immediately question it too. I'm just not sure whether that look is traditional or a Pharisaical development.
(06-16-2014, 10:26 AM)Deidre Wrote: Quite recently I went to Mass and noticed that the priest had a new stole. It was white, with groups of narrow blue horizontal stripes woven into the fabric so that they "matched" down the sides, and white fringe hanging all along the narrow ends.

It looked exactly like this: http://www.merriam-webster.com/art/dict/tallith.htm except no stars of David, and the fringe was shorter.

This seems really off to me, and I'm wondering if it's allowed. And just so we're all onthe same page, I know that the first Mass was a seder meal, and that te first Catholics were Jews, etc.  :Hmm:

I've seen those too, but never given much thought to it. There seems to be pretty wide freedom to what a stole and other vestments look like as long as they basically adhere to the proper liturgical color. It is certainly at least tacitly permitted, since such things are fairly widespread, and I've never heard of a bishop anywhere legislating good taste in vestments, alas. I've never seen a magisterial document, pre- or post-conciliar, that minutely regulates the appearance of vestments besides the listing of liturgical colors in the liturgical books. Such a document might exist; I just don't know what it is.
Many stoles have tassels/fringe on them. There's absolutely no problem.  :crazy:
(06-17-2014, 05:57 AM)Miserere_Nobis Wrote: Many stoles have tassels/fringe on them. There's absolutely no problem.  :crazy:

You're right. The stole looked nothing like a Jewish prayer shawl, and I was silly to ask about it. My mistake.  :eyeroll:
(06-17-2014, 11:10 AM)Deidre Wrote:
(06-17-2014, 05:57 AM)Miserere_Nobis Wrote: Many stoles have tassels/fringe on them. There's absolutely no problem.  :crazy:

You're right. The stole looked nothing like a Jewish prayer shawl, and I was silly to ask about it. My mistake.  :eyeroll:

It's not an unreasonable question, the GIRM talks about stoles but doesn't say anything about specific styles.

Did you see the soccer chasuable the story about the soccer chasuable? Brazil Team Football Chasuble for World Cup