Nancy Pelosi urges S.F. archbishop to exit marriage march
(06-16-2014, 03:13 PM)J Michael Wrote:
(06-16-2014, 02:49 PM)phattonez Wrote: Would someone just excommunicate her already? What a disservice to the faithful she causes when a public unrepentant sinner (by supporting sinful choices) is allowed to call herself Catholic and receive Holy Communion. People assume that there is room for dissent because it is de facto allowed. No, the hierarchy focuses their venom on traditional Catholics and pious practices.

It's hard to assume goodwill when this nonsense keeps on happening.

The Pelosi's are worth LOTS of $$$.  Someone doesn't want to piss them off too much.  More's the pity.   :eyeroll: :eyeroll:  She's a disgrace as a legislator, a disgrace as a representative, and a much bigger disgrace as a "Catholic".  But, hey....she's got plenty a moolah....

And that's why she will never be excommunicated!. The Novus Ordo only clergy considers big paying Catholics  the most influential, in terms of governance and power. They get what they want, and us lowly traditionalists always play kiss up!. They wouldn't think twice excommunicating a traditionalist or "basic income" or "poor" Catholic. But when your "RICH", you get preferential treatment. Like big Cathedral weddings, and funerals!!. Cardinals and Bishops coming over for tea!!. Get my drift!!. Completely agree with this responders reply!. Because I see it with my own eyes!!.  Here is  good example. Will the Prince of Monaco and his wife have their new baby, when he or she is born, baptized by a Bishop in a cathedral, or by a lowly parish priest, with just a stole on, in a lowly parish church. Bets on the former!. Celine Dion was married in the "MAIN" part of the Notre Dame Cathedral. Not a side chapel like regular "non RICH" peon Catholics. When you got the money even Gods church and clergy can be purchased at a price!!. FACT!!! .
(06-17-2014, 06:09 PM)Beware_the_Ides Wrote: Sadly, Abp. Cordileone replied but did NOT specifically address Pelosi. 

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/deaconsbenc...r-marrage/

What a shame.  I don't understand that glaring omission.  Why name the Mayor, Lt. Governor,  and State Senator among twenty other individuals or organizations in the letter heading but not Pelosi?!

At the very least, he must privately rebuke her and bar her from receiving the sacraments until she publicly recants.  Anything short of that and his words ring hollow to me.

How does that work?  I ask because I don't know.  If he is NOT her bishop/archbishop, does he have the authority to rebuke her and bar her from the sacraments?  If, on the other hand, he IS, then yes, by all means he should do so!!
(06-17-2014, 10:12 PM)AntoniusMaximus Wrote:
(06-16-2014, 02:49 PM)phattonez Wrote: Would someone just excommunicate her already? What a disservice to the faithful she causes when a public unrepentant sinner (by supporting sinful choices) is allowed to call herself Catholic and receive Holy Communion. People assume that there is room for dissent because it is de facto allowed. No, the hierarchy focuses their venom on traditional Catholics and pious practices.

The Pelosi's are worth LOTS of $$$.  Someone doesn't want to piss them off too much.  More's the pity.   :eyeroll: :eyeroll:  She's a disgrace as a legislator, a disgrace as a representative, and a much bigger disgrace as a "Catholic".  But, hey....she's got plenty a moolah....

Also, the big one would be that if the Church angers the powers that be in this country, they could lose tax exempt status.  And that would be a huge blow to already weak finances in the Church

??? ???  What, the Church with billions and billions and billions of $$ in assets?  Yes, yes, I know...many parishes are in dire straights, etc., etc...However....having "tax exempt" status comes with a price that, in essence, muzzles to a certain extent, those who would preach the Truth.  Losing that status would regain them that freedom that was so easily surrendered to Mammon.
(06-18-2014, 09:39 AM)J Michael Wrote:

The Pelosi's are worth LOTS of $$$.  Someone doesn't want to piss them off too much.  More's the pity.   :eyeroll: :eyeroll:  She's a disgrace as a legislator, a disgrace as a representative, and a much bigger disgrace as a "Catholic".  But, hey....she's got plenty a moolah....

Also, the big one would be that if the Church angers the powers that be in this country, they could lose tax exempt status.  And that would be a huge blow to already weak finances in the Church

??? ???  What, the Church with billions and billions and billions of $$ in assets?  Yes, yes, I know...many parishes are in dire straights, etc., etc...However....having "tax exempt" status comes with a price that, in essence, muzzles to a certain extent, those who would preach the Truth.  Losing that status would regain them that freedom that was so easily surrendered to Mammon.

That is a good question, and one worthy of discussion I think. Would those of us who value the Church still support it if there was no tax receipt at the end of the year? I would hope so - I know my husband and I support charities that have no exempt status in Canada but we feel do important work (groups like the Euthanasia Prevention Coalition and Life's Vision). Would it alter how much we gave? Possibly, I admit. But it would give a larger degree of freedom if the Church operated "outside the system".
(06-18-2014, 10:57 AM)PrairieMom Wrote:

That is a good question, and one worthy of discussion I think. Would those of us who value the Church still support it if there was no tax receipt at the end of the year? I would hope so - I know my husband and I support charities that have no exempt status in Canada but we feel do important work (groups like the Euthanasia Prevention Coalition and Life's Vision). Would it alter how much we gave? Possibly, I admit. But it would give a larger degree of freedom if the Church operated "outside the system".

You got it, Sistah!  :)

How much we give to the Church and to various charities is linked solely to how much we are able to give.  Period.  We choose who we give our limited funds to on the basis of their merit (which includes but is by no means limited to how much they spend on admin, etc and how much actually goes where it's supposed to) not on the basis of their tax exempt status or lack thereof.
"We share our love of the Catholic faith and our city of San Francisco," Pelosi wrote to Cordileone, who, as head of the 560,000-member Archdiocese of San Francisco, has become the Catholic bishops' point man against gay marriage.

If she really shared a love of the Catholic Faith she would be attending the event with the archbishop.

We used to give cash up until a year ago.  I was never concerned about getting the tax break for the donation.

But we switched to writing checks because I wanted a paper trail of what I had given.  I figure, when the persecution begins in earnest, I want the prosecutor to have ample evidence that I am a Catholic.  I want him to have an open and shut case so I am not tempted to weasel out of the conviction.  :)
Invoking the words of Pope Francis with regard to gays and lesbians, she wrote, "If someone is gay and is searching for the Lord and has good will, then who am I to judge

If a person is searching for the Lord and has good will then they are sorry for their sins, they are not in open rebellion with the magisterial teachings of the Catholic Church and "yes" who are we to judge.
Public officials, including Pelosi, have expressed respect for the archbishop's religious views, but have taken particular issue with the organizations sponsoring and participating in the event.

If they really respected his religous views their behaviour would be different.
(06-19-2014, 04:19 AM)Jaegermeister Wrote:

We used to give cash up until a year ago.  I was never concerned about getting the tax break for the donation.

But we switched to writing checks because I wanted a paper trail of what I had given.  I figure, when the persecution begins in earnest, I want the prosecutor to have ample evidence that I am a Catholic.  I want him to have an open and shut case so I am not tempted to weasel out of the conviction.   :)

LOL!  Ha!  I doubt, if and when it comes to that, you will have need of anything so detailed and explicit as a paper trail.  I'm thinkin' a simple crucifix on your wall or around your neck and making the Sign of the Cross should suffice abundantly. :)