Infallibility of the Faith
God is not my friend he is my Father. No where does scripture equate God with friendship.
(06-23-2014, 11:45 AM)Copeland Wrote: God is not my friend he is my Father. No where does scripture equate God with friendship.

[12] This is my commandment, that you love one another, as I have loved you. [13] Greater love than this no man hath, that a man lay down his life for his friends. [14] You are my friends, if you do the things that I command you. [15] I will not now call you servants: for the servant knoweth not what his lord doth. But I have called you friends: because all things whatsoever I have heard of my Father, I have made known to you.
What a fascinating discussion!  I'm glad I asked, and even more so that others, especially Melkite, have responded.  Much of what you struggle with, especially papal infallibility and how God permits evil and sickness and suffering, are issues that I have struggled with for years and *still* do.  I really appreciate your candor and willingness to make this struggle of yours public (in an anonymous kind of way, that is  :)).

So, I have another question for you...If, as you say, God does not interfere because to do so would violate our free will, how do you explain those events which the Church (Catholic AND Orthodox) refer to as "miracles"?
OK touche.... I do not have time right now to read through the chapter to try to attain an accurate understanding of the context of the message Christ was conveying, but notice even still he refers himself and us once again back to the Father. God is going to be our perfect Father over and before anything else. I will admit that you got me on this one. I did not remember this verse.
would you be so kind as to provide book and chapter for that?
(06-23-2014, 12:13 PM)Copeland Wrote: OK touche.... I do not have time right now to read through the chapter to try to attain an accurate understanding of the context of the message Christ was conveying, but notice even still he refers himself and us once again back to the Father. God is going to be our perfect Father over and before anything else. I will admit that you got me on this one. I did not remember this verse.

It wasn't intended as a gotcha.  But how many sons, once they have grown, find their fathers to also be their friends?  I don't think the two are contradictory, and I think it's not healthy to view them as such.  Yes, God is your father first, but he is also your friend, and that is an important aspect of your relationship with him.  The verse I quoted is in John 15.
(06-23-2014, 12:11 PM)J Michael Wrote: What a fascinating discussion!  I'm glad I asked, and even more so that others, especially Melkite, have responded.  Much of what you struggle with, especially papal infallibility and how God permits evil and sickness and suffering, are issues that I have struggled with for years and *still* do.  I really appreciate your candor and willingness to make this struggle of yours public (in an anonymous kind of way, that is  :)).

So, I have another question for you...If, as you say, God does not interfere because to do so would violate our free will, how do you explain those events which the Church (Catholic AND Orthodox) refer to as "miracles"?

Which miracles are you referring to?  If the ones in the bible, we have no evidence other than scriptural testimony that they ever literally occurred.  If miracles like Fatima or healings at Lourdes, I would say they are dubious.
(06-23-2014, 11:18 AM)Melkite Wrote:
(06-23-2014, 11:12 AM)Clare Brigid Wrote: Melkite, would you consider reading the chapter on the Eucharistic Sacrifice in Christ, the Life of the Soul, by Bl. Columba Marmion?  I have never read such an illuminating explanation of why sacrifice is necessary to worship and why it is eminently spiritual.

I'll give it a go.  Can it be found on the internet or would I have to purchase the book?

I'll scan it tomorrow and provide you with a link to download it.
I will agree with you on that point, but still as a Father I must instill a certain sense of fear of my judgment into my children or else my children will turn into little heathens rather quickly. Believe me I have two little girls. lol
I would like to take a moment to thank you as well. As you can probably tell I am not the most intellectually colorful crayon in the box and I know this. But how can I advance in my intellect if I do not conversate with people that are deeper thinkers than myself? I am enjoying the conversation.