Heresy in Sr. Faustina's Diary
(06-23-2014, 01:50 AM)Geremia Wrote: And something that strikes me odd about the Chaplet of Divine Mercy is this prayer in it:
Quote: Eternal Father, I offer You the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your dearly beloved Son, Our Lord Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world.
Only Christ, through His priests, can properly offer Christ in atonement. It seems improper, to say the least, for laypeople to say this prayer. It would seem to make sense only if this were a prayer in the Mass.

Prayer taught by the Angel of Peace to three of the seers of Fatima:

My God, I believe, I adore, I hope, and I love You. I ask pardon for those who do not believe, do not adore, do not hope, and do not  love You.

Most Holy Trinity, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, I adore You profoundly, and I offer You the Most Precious Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus Christ, present in all the tabernacles of the world, in reparation for the outrages, sacrileges and indifferences by which He is offended. And by the infinite merits of His most Sacred Heart and the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I beg the conversion of poor sinners.

Of course, it goes without saying that the seers of Fatima were lay people.  And they said that prayer while tending sheep out in a field.
(06-23-2014, 12:47 PM)Copeland Wrote: This thread is really freaking me out! I say the chaplet every morning before the blessed sacrament. Am I offending God? Should I stop saying this? Should I confess this? My heart is about to explode in my chest!

No, you are not offending God.  The diary was removed from the index.  Be at peace.
And the index is, for all intents and purposes, no more.

So, it (the diary) went from bad to "good" to no comment...sort of.
Miseremini Wrote:Father Peter Scott wrote against Faustina in 2010

http://www.angelusonline.org/index.php?section=articles&subsection=show_article&article_id=2895
(06-23-2014, 01:50 AM)Geremia Wrote: See this.

Tradition is Action is a questionable source for decent discussion of theological issues in my book. Their connection with Plinio Corrêa de Oliveira and the Brazillian TFP, coupled with Bishop de Castro Mayer's label of it as an "heretical sect" is enough to throw up a red flag for me. I would need to evaluate their claims individually.

(06-23-2014, 01:50 AM)Geremia Wrote: Her diary contains at least one heresy; that is enough for Pope Pius XII to place it on the Index:
Quote:On October 2, 1936, she states that the “Lord Jesus” appeared to her and said, “Now, I know that it is not for the graces or gifts that you love Me, but because My Will is dearer to you than life. That is why I am uniting Myself with you so intimately as with no other creature.” (Divine Mercy in My Soul, The Diary of Sr. Faustina, Stockbridge, MA: Marian Press, 1987, p. 288)
So, more intimately than with the Immaculate Conception?

Quote:“From today on, do not fear God’s judgment, for you will not be judged.” (ibid., p. 168)
Who, besides Our Blessed Mother, can escape God's judgment?

These statements need not be taken as heretical, though they could be suspect.

For instance "I am uniting Myself with you so intimately as with no other creature" does not necessarily exclude the Blessed Virgin or many other Saints who are more closely united to Christ. It could simply mean that Christ was uniting himself more specially right here and now to her, with the obvious exceptions understood.

As regards the latter, all souls are judged. None escapes judgement. The Blessed Virgin Mary did not escape judgement or redemption, she was Redeeem in anticipation of the merits of Christ and her "Fiat" was her judgement. A favorable one, obviously.

To say "you will not be judged" could be a simple promise of the grace of final perseverance. Then it would be "Do not fear God's judgement, you will not be judged (to be reprobate because I will give you the final graces you need to die well)".

It is rare that apparitions express material that reads like a Thomistic treatise with polysyllogism. Rather, it is simply necessary that it does not contradict the Faith. Where there is doubt, a deeper investigation would be needed, but heresy should not be presumed if there is a reasonable way of explaining it.
"MagisterMusicae" Wrote:Their connection with Plinio Corrêa de Oliveira and the Brazillian TFP, coupled with Bishop de Castro Mayer's label of it as an "heretical sect" is enough to throw up a red flag for me. I would need to evaluate their claims individually.
Would you like to elaborate?
(06-27-2014, 10:46 AM)PolishTrad Wrote:
"MagisterMusicae" Wrote:Their connection with Plinio Corrêa de Oliveira and the Brazillian TFP, coupled with Bishop de Castro Mayer's label of it as an "heretical sect" is enough to throw up a red flag for me. I would need to evaluate their claims individually.
Would you like to elaborate?

I just found this:

http://www.unitypublishing.com/Apparitio...Fatima.htm 

Under the heading "Bishop on Tradition, Family and Property (America Needs Fatima)", there is this:
"Here is a letter from Bishop Castro De Meyer on the group (he worked with them for years):

This letter was published in the Campos daily, La Folha de Manhà in 1991; the original text, however, is dated 1984, two years after Bishop de Castro Mayer's break with TFP. It appeared in Le Sel de la Terre, [no. 28, Spring 1999], in an article entitled, "Documents sur la T.F.P".

Dear XXXXX,
I owe a response to your grieving letter of September 24, which, as the postmark indicates, you sent me on September 25. [1991]

In this case, I can only offer the sole advice: pray, pray much, above all the Rosary or at least the five decades of the Rosary, asking the Virgin Mother, Mediatrix of all graces, to enlighten your son and make him see[size=10pt] that TFP is an heretical sect [/size]because, in fact, although they do not say or write it, TFP lives and behaves in accord with a principle which fundamentally undermines the truth of Christianity, that is, of the Catholic Church..."
TFP?
(06-27-2014, 10:56 AM)Copeland Wrote: TFP?

Tradition, Family, Property. A lay organization started in Brazil. Generally politically conservative, associated with more traditional Catholic persuasions. The US branch (which is separate, but connected to the original Brazilian branch) often are found at conservative of traditional Catholic events wearing dignified attire, and red sashes or a label pin of a lion rampant. They often also have red banners with such a lion.

I used to seem them at the March for Life every year.

Most are good Catholics, but there is an undercurrent of anti-clericalism.

I made the note only to warn one to be careful what your read on TIA. Some of there things may be decent, but given their connection, one needs to be careful.
(06-27-2014, 10:38 AM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: It is rare that apparitions express material that reads like a Thomistic treatise with polysyllogism. Rather, it is simply necessary that it does not contradict the Faith. Where there is doubt, a deeper investigation would be needed, but heresy should not be presumed if there is a reasonable way of explaining it.
If it's on the Index, heresy should be presumed.
(06-24-2014, 06:54 AM)agnes therese Wrote: No, you are not offending God.  The diary was removed from the index.  Be at peace.
I realize there were books on the Index that were taken off it, but was Sr. Faustina's diary removed before the Index was abolished?