The Pope speaks with the young Franciscans of the Immaculate
What really irks me about this whole thing is that even the SSPX is more faithful to the teachings of VII than your average modernist priest.
(06-26-2014, 07:55 PM)Papist Wrote: What really irks me about this whole thing is that even the SSPX is more faithful to the teachings of VII than your average modernist priest.

Absolutely! Didn't +Fellay once say that the priests of the SSPX can and do accept 95% of what Vatican II taught - a lot higher than many priests and religious in full communion!
(06-26-2014, 07:55 PM)Papist Wrote: What really irks me about this whole thing is that even the SSPX is more faithful to the teachings of VII than your average modernist priest.

The thing that keeps me scratching the head is that many priests don't even know what VII is!  I was listening to a friar rail (he was celebrating his 25th year as a priest) about how when he entered VII was still in favor. 
(06-26-2014, 08:23 PM)aquinas138 Wrote:

Absolutely! Didn't +Fellay once say that the priests of the SSPX can and do accept 95% of what Vatican II taught - a lot higher than many priests and religious in full communion!
It is a shame that they will not accept an arrangement with the Vatican.
(06-27-2014, 01:14 AM)Poche Wrote: It is a shame that they will not accept an arrangement with the Vatican.

Yes, but - I say this as someone who shares some sympathies with them, but I am not the biggest SSPX supporter - it would be a whole heckuva lot nicer if Rome would come to its senses, clean up a whole lot of nonsense and authentically restore the Roman liturgy. I would have to imagine the SSPX would love nothing more than for Rome to make groups like the SSPX unnecessary! Rome has consistently demonstrated a large measure of duplicity in dealing with the SSPX. I think the fact that the FSSP still has no bishop of its own demonstrates that +Lefebvre knew what he was doing with the consecrations. The shenanigans with the last minute additions to the doctrinal preamble also show there are factions in the Vatican keenly interested in keeping the SSPX irregular.
(06-27-2014, 08:56 AM)aquinas138 Wrote:
(06-27-2014, 01:14 AM)Poche Wrote: It is a shame that they will not accept an arrangement with the Vatican.

Yes, but - I say this as someone who shares some sympathies with them, but I am not the biggest SSPX supporter - it would be a whole heckuva lot nicer if Rome would come to its senses, clean up a whole lot of nonsense and authentically restore the Roman liturgy. I would have to imagine the SSPX would love nothing more than for Rome to make groups like the SSPX unnecessary! Rome has consistently demonstrated a large measure of duplicity in dealing with the SSPX. I think the fact that the FSSP still has no bishop of its own demonstrates that +Lefebvre knew what he was doing with the consecrations. The shenanigans with the last minute additions to the doctrinal preamble also show there are factions in the Vatican keenly interested in keeping the SSPX irregular.

Ideally yes, but I don't know about that, I have a feeling the SSPX is very comfortable in its current position at this point.  This issue has gone on unresolved for way too long and regularization would be much more difficult at this junction with all the competing personalities.  I can imagine another generation or two removed from the players involved, where SSPX is less vigorous we will see more of a chance at regularization.