Front and Center - the Tabernacle
(06-25-2014, 01:48 PM)J Michael Wrote: "Singularity of image"   :LOL: :LOL:  What a great euphemism for "plain, boring, ugly homogeneity".  Or, on the other hand, it could be code for "Protestant". :LOL: :grin: 

I think such designs were sometimes done in such a spirit, more so as the original liturgical movement lost steam, but the idea of "singularity of image" was most certainly not Protestant. I disagree with it in that I think a "multiplicity of images" can actually enhance the focus on and appreciation for the Sacrifice--for example, the crucifix, tabernacle, altar, priest, and Sacrifice, all in one line of sight surrounded by images of the Saints and the heavenly host all bring forth and make more visible the underlying realities of the Eucharist.  But wanting the sacrifice on the altar to be even more the focus of worship is not Protestant (even if the means taken to do so may have been misguided), since it was intended to lead to a hyperfocus on the one thing Protestants traditionally consider the most blasphemous.

I think such designs were sometimes done in such a spirit, more so as the original liturgical movement lost steam, but the idea of "singularity of image" was most certainly not Protestant. I disagree with it in that I think a "multiplicity of images" can actually enhance the focus on and appreciation for the Sacrifice--for example, the crucifix, tabernacle, altar, priest, and Sacrifice, all in one line of sight surrounded by images of the Saints and the heavenly host all bring forth and make more visible the underlying realities of the Eucharist.  But wanting the sacrifice on the altar to be even more the focus of worship is not Protestant (even if the means taken to do so may have been misguided), since it was intended to lead to a hyperfocus on the one thing Protestants traditionally consider the most blasphemous.

At what point do we realize we made a horrible mistake and do an about face?

[/quote]
(06-25-2014, 03:19 PM)Copeland Wrote:
(06-25-2014, 03:10 PM)SaintSebastian Wrote:

At what point do we realize we made a horrible mistake and do an about face?
[/quote]

I think many people already do realize that--traditionalists, many conservative Catholics, most Eastern rite Catholics (for the most part, I think, not really affected so much by that), and certainly virtually all Orthodox who know anything about this and care at all.  Doing an about face is a little more problematic, I think.  That would involve getting many, many more people to realize the horrible mistake (epitomized, I think, in VII and the so-called "spirit of VII") and then, well...re-building the Catholic Church and a great many of it's parish churches, or at least doing significant interior restorations, all of which costs lots of $$$$.

Now, if you're *just* referring to the placement of the Tabernacle, that seems much less problematic to fix.  Get enough of the bishops to realize it should have centrality of place and prominence and get them to instruct their priests to move it.  Now, how you get bishops to see these things and to act on them is probably above my pay grade.  Simpleton and naive that I am, I'm the sort that just might write a letter directly to the bishop pointing these things out and asking him to "fix" it.  Luckily, the problem of the placement of the Tabernacle doesn't exist in the two parishes closest to me.  It did in one, but they solved it a couple of years ago.  And that in one of the butt-ugliest and most protestantized Catholic churches I've ever seen or set foot in.
(06-25-2014, 03:19 PM)Copeland Wrote: At what point do we realize we made a horrible mistake and do an about face?

It seems to be happening in some places, at least slowly, as this bishop's letter evidences.  On a personal note, the parishes I go to when visiting relatives (in two different states), both recently restored theirs to the center (one is very spaceship-like and the old tabernacle was built into the wall on one side--they covered it with a Marian shrine and put a big beautiful tabernacle front and center).  I know it's anecdotal, but while I've seen and heard of some tabernacles being moved back to the center, I have not seen or heard of any being removed from the center in the last couple decades.
I just recently wrote a letter to my Bishop in my home diocese on this very topic about one of our parishes and the problem was solved rather quickly. I just wish Rome could see its importance as easily i guess.
(06-25-2014, 04:08 PM)Copeland Wrote: I just recently wrote a letter to my Bishop in my home diocese on this very topic about one of our parishes and the problem was solved rather quickly. I just wish Rome could see its importance as easily i guess.

What diocese is that? I've previously written letters about parishes where direct provisions of Redemptionis Sacramentum were being ignored such as pouring the Precious Blood into individual chalices after Consecration, glass vessels being used, etc., and the response I got from the bishop's office was that hey that's how we do it so that's how it will be done. Things changed a few months after I sent a letter to the CDWDS, so maybe that was because of me but I'll never know.

The point is, bishops, at least out here, don't seem to care and would rather talk about their pet political issues.
(06-25-2014, 04:16 PM)phattonez Wrote:
(06-25-2014, 04:08 PM)Copeland Wrote: I just recently wrote a letter to my Bishop in my home diocese on this very topic about one of our parishes and the problem was solved rather quickly. I just wish Rome could see its importance as easily i guess.

What diocese is that? I've previously written letters about parishes where direct provisions of Redemptionis Sacramentum were being ignored such as pouring the Precious Blood into individual chalices after Consecration, glass vessels being used, etc., and the response I got from the bishop's office was that hey that's how we do it so that's how it will be done. Things changed a few months after I sent a letter to the CDWDS, so maybe that was because of me but I'll never know.

The point is, bishops, at least out here, don't seem to care and would rather talk about their pet political issues.

The Diocese of Lake Charles. We are fairly young and pretty firmly traditional. In fact the Bishop will be celebrating a pontifical high mass this friday! I'm so pumped.

Have you had a response yet, or at least an acknowledgement that he received it?  Or is it too soon?
(06-25-2014, 04:26 PM)J Michael Wrote:

Have you had a response yet, or at least an acknowledgement that he received it?  Or is it too soon?

He responded within the week.
(06-25-2014, 04:32 PM)Copeland Wrote:
(06-25-2014, 04:26 PM)J Michael Wrote:

He responded within the week.

That's great! 

As for Rome...well...I suppose you could try writing to the Pope.  But, even if you did (and if *many* others did as well), I can't help but think that you'd find far less receptivity there than you did with your bishop.