Can People struggle with SSA marry someone of the opposite gender?
(07-16-2014, 12:21 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote:
(07-16-2014, 12:17 PM)LoneWolfRadTrad Wrote: Here's the thing.  You tell someone you're both Catholic and a homosexual, they're going to, right away, conclude you *are* active in the lifestyle, not merely attracted to the same sex.

Wouldn't that be the sin of rash judgment?

Dunno, if anything, it seems scrupulous to think it the sin of rash judgement.

But we're talking about a general audience of people here, not merely Catholics.
Well, non-Catholics can commit rash judgment, too!  And often do.

In other words, maybe people should examine themselves rather than draw conclusions about others.  I certainly don't think one gives scandal by informing someone that one is Catholic and homosexual. 
(07-16-2014, 12:38 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: Well, non-Catholics can commit rash judgment, too!  And often do.

In other words, maybe people should examine themselves rather than draw conclusions about others.  I certainly don't think one gives scandal by informing someone that one is Catholic and homosexual. 

But we're not talking about thought out conclusions, we're talking about what instantly comes to mind.
(07-16-2014, 12:17 PM)LoneWolfRadTrad Wrote: Here's the thing.  You tell someone you're both Catholic and a homosexual, they're going to, right away, conclude you *are* active in the lifestyle, not merely attracted to the same sex.

So... everyone automagically thinks you are a man-whore when you introduce yourself as Catholic and straight?
(07-16-2014, 03:27 PM)PatienceAndLove Wrote:

So... everyone automagically thinks you are a man-whore when you introduce yourself as Catholic and straight?

No, because the typical first impression is going to be that you mean "I'm Catholic and I think homosexual activity is okay, the Church doesn't and I think that should change". You can clarify what you mean, but that's going to usually be what someone thinks you mean.
Here's the thing...

I really REALLY have yet to meet a gay person who instantly introduces themselves as gay when meeting someone.  Religious views are far more likely to come up first rather than sexual orientation. And by that point, it would be fairly obvious whether one was an sexually active homosexual or heterosexual or bisexual or pansexual.

So really, the convo for the last few pages is rather moot.
(07-16-2014, 04:14 PM)PatienceAndLove Wrote: Here's the thing...

I really REALLY have yet to meet a gay person who instantly introduces themselves as gay when meeting someone.  Religious views are far more likely to come up first rather than sexual orientation. And by that point, it would be fairly obvious whether one was an sexually active homosexual or heterosexual or bisexual or pansexual.

Oh, I've no doubt you're right there. I was just arguing a technicality. I've got no real dog in this race.
(07-16-2014, 04:27 PM)Dirigible Wrote:
(07-16-2014, 04:14 PM)PatienceAndLove Wrote: Here's the thing...

Oh, I've no doubt you're right there. I was just arguing a technicality. I've got no real dog in this race.

I see your technicality and raise you sheer ridiculousness
(07-16-2014, 04:09 PM)Dirigible Wrote:
(07-16-2014, 03:27 PM)PatienceAndLove Wrote:

No, because the typical first impression is going to be that you mean "I'm Catholic and I think homosexual activity is okay, the Church doesn't and I think that should change". You can clarify what you mean, but that's going to usually be what someone thinks you mean.

Exactly.  And this attitude is terrible, as there are many good, celibate people in the Church who realize that they have a cross to bare.  Sometimes, you just want to talk about it, but a lot of people within the Church think that identifying as gay means participating in the lifestyle, as you say, which is very frustrating. 
Yes they can.

I personally know two people who are in happy, sexually normal marriages. And one other preparing for marriage.  I suspect their marriages are even more effective than most 'heterosexual' (for lack of a better word) marriages. Here's the thing, they are all Christian, and they have worked hard on their issues and grown spiritually and psychically. 

I don't think people with SSA should be forced into celibacy. There is hope.

Obviously, nobody should be pressured into marriage either. Your state in life shouldn't be determined by your SSA, it is what God wants that counts. There are many people for whom SSA genuinely is not an impediment to marriage.