Loneliness
To all of you (particularly single) fishies who suffer from loneliness or isolation, what do you do to beat it?  I know that, personally, whenever I feel so overwhelmed by feelings of being alone and on my own, I tend to fall into self-destructive behavior that leads me away from the Lord and makes my already unhealthy situation even worse.  Any ideas, stories??
I feel like I am in the exact same boat.  I wish I had advice to give.  Loneliness is one of the most powerful demons.
I find that work, praying, reading, and computer games help.  The expression 'the devil uses idle hands' or something like that holds some truth in my experiences. I believe it's very important to keep ourselves busy... prayers for all the single people who suffer from loneliness. St. Benedict Labre pray for us....
I suffer from "lonely heart" being primarily melancholic in temper. I just deal with it somehow I guess. I firgure I've got this far. Good thing with us is 'if you throw us in the water we'll learn to swim'. I just want to have decent employ to support a family so I start dating. I'm fudging 30 years old. I'm sick of this impure and unholy single life.
I agree, idleness is probably the worst thing...
(07-02-2014, 12:02 PM)2HeartsServant Wrote: To all of you (particularly single) fishies who suffer from loneliness or isolation, what do you do to beat it?  I know that, personally, whenever I feel so overwhelmed by feelings of being alone and on my own, I tend to fall into self-destructive behavior that leads me away from the Lord and makes my already unhealthy situation even worse.  Any ideas, stories??

Make Novus Ordo friends.  Invite them to the traditional Mass.  Go drink beer, shoot guns, smoke cigars with them.  Whatever.  (blanks space here) Profit. I mean, convert, or rather, tradvert them. :P
It is hard though.  I find once you're past the college age stuff for single young adults drops off, and so much of what remains is very focused on dating.  Even parish life is hard - so often the activities seem to be focused on children or families.  I've seen one too many things where the division is "children", "men", "seniors", and "mothers".

I've never felt any desire towards married life and it so often seems even within the church there is little room for that.  Maybe a woman my age is supposed to have joined an order by now? I don't think I'm allowed to yet.
(07-03-2014, 04:57 PM)Sunset Wrote: It is hard though.  I find once you're past the college age stuff for single young adults drops off, and so much of what remains is very focused on dating.  Even parish life is hard - so often the activities seem to be focused on children or families.  I've seen one too many things where the division is "children", "men", "seniors", and "mothers".

I've never felt any desire towards married life and it so often seems even within the church there is little room for that.  Maybe a woman my age is supposed to have joined an order by now? I don't think I'm allowed to yet.

Regardless of where you should or should not be in life, go tradvert the masses.  Pun intended.
(07-03-2014, 05:11 PM)LoneWolfRadTrad Wrote:
(07-03-2014, 04:57 PM)Sunset Wrote: It is hard though.  I find once you're past the college age stuff for single young adults drops off, and so much of what remains is very focused on dating.  Even parish life is hard - so often the activities seem to be focused on children or families.  I've seen one too many things where the division is "children", "men", "seniors", and "mothers".

Regardless of where you should or should not be in life, go tradvert the masses.  Pun intended.

Not quite sure what that's saying?
Take the advice of those who live the semi eremitic life and keep yourself busy. Make sure you have a routine and stick to it, especially a prayer routine, manual labor etc. I think keeping to a routine helps, as does trying to feed your soul with holy and wholesome things.