so..
is this forum good for anything because lately I have seriously been questioning the whole possibly of marriage in traddom for 20 and 30-somethings?
It seems so unrealistic, doesn't it? To expect to find and marry a fellow trad. Not to mention how there's all kinds of different trads who can't seem to agree on all points. I wonder sometimes if we're not completely delusional. Compromise (as in, marrying a non-trad) might be an option, but personally, I've never been a fan of that, especially in matters as important as marriage. I'm an idealist, I guess. Lots of luck that'll bring me, in today's world...
We could all become monks and nuns.

I'm also losing a bit of hope in marriage. Most trad girls seem so serious, I doubt any would be interested in me.
I think I could compromise with a NO girl, as long as she's not of the lukewarm sort and I still go to the TLM.
But yes, the times are not in our favour.
Women ain't nothing but trouble no matter if they are traditional or not.

:LOL:

(07-07-2014, 01:50 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote: We could all become monks and nuns.

I'm also losing a bit of hope in marriage. Most trad girls seem so serious, I doubt any would be interested in me.
I think I could compromise with a NO girl, as long as she's not of the lukewarm sort and I still go to the TLM.

Yes, and exile ourselves in far-away monasteries!

When you say most trad girls seem too serious, what do you mean? I know that most trad men seem too closed-off from the world. I once knew a guy who wouldn't listen to any kind of music that had lyrics. It was only instrumental stuff for him...

But you know, as men, you have a much better chance when it comes to marriage with non-trads. Usually, I do believe women are more inclined to follow their husband. So you can actually hope to find a wife that will be willing to look up to you and learn from you. But when you're a woman, and you want to convert your husband, it's harder. Because if you're the one acting as a teacher, you can't have that admiration and respect you're supposed to have towards your husband, whom you should normally see as a (spiritual) leader. It's what I think, anyway.
(07-07-2014, 02:07 PM)Andùril Wrote: :LOL:

(07-07-2014, 01:50 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote: We could all become monks and nuns.

Yes, and exile ourselves in far-away monasteries!

When you say most trad girls seem too serious, what do you mean? I know that most trad men seem too closed-off from the world. I once knew a guy who wouldn't listen to any kind of music that had lyrics. It was only instrumental stuff for him...

But you know, as men, you have a much better chance when it comes to marriage with non-trads. Usually, I do believe women are more inclined to follow their husband. So you can actually hope to find a wife that will be willing to look up to you and learn from you. But when you're a woman, and you want to convert your husband, it's harder. Because if you're the one acting as a teacher, you can't have that admiration and respect you're supposed to have towards your husband, whom you should normally see as a (spiritual) leader. It's what I think, anyway.

So your friend doesn't even listen to Gregorian chant at Church?
Anyway, I don't know if the impression I have is something precise. They just look more unapproachable :) Always with a disapproving look, etc.
Of course, that's all fine – I just don't think they would be interested in the likes of me.

Let's hope you're right (except in your pessimism that a woman can't convert a man). But I'm really considering that monk thing. We'll see, I guess.
(07-07-2014, 05:50 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote: So your friend doesn't even listen to Gregorian chant at Church?
Anyway, I don't know if the impression I have is something precise. They just look more unapproachable :) Always with a disapproving look, etc.
Of course, that's all fine – I just don't think they would be interested in the likes of me.

Let's hope you're right (except in your pessimism that a woman can't convert a man). But I'm really considering that monk thing. We'll see, I guess.

Oops, I forgot about that one! Yes, he did listen to Gregorian chant.  :grin: But that's about it.

I suppose trad girls are usually more sheltered and/or careful about the men they interact with. Our society has pushed people into adopting extreme attitudes...I find it hard to identify with trads sometimes.

By the way, I didn't mean that a woman can't convert a man... That is certainly possible. I just think it's easier for a man to do so when it comes to his wife. Because he's acting according to his traditional role as a leader. Personally, I wouldn't want to follow a man who isn't religious. Not in today's world.

As for becoming a monk, my take on it is, one should never do it to escape the world. Nor as a plan b, an alternative to marriage. It should only be done if one truly feels a calling for it.
(07-07-2014, 11:10 AM)Andùril Wrote: It seems so unrealistic, doesn't it? To expect to find and marry a fellow trad. Not to mention how there's all kinds of different trads who can't seem to agree on all points. I wonder sometimes if we're not completely delusional. Compromise (as in, marrying a non-trad) might be an option, but personally, I've never been a fan of that, especially in matters as important as marriage. I'm an idealist, I guess. Lots of luck that'll bring me, in today's world...
This is my sentiment exactly. All the different opinions and views among us trads (especially now post-Benedict) makes me feel unreal all around. I seriously wonder if we're all insane at times or at least if I am.
That's the problem with conservatives in general. They can't seem to agree and unite as well as liberals do...
(07-11-2014, 06:06 PM)Andùril Wrote: That's the problem with conservatives in general. They can't seem to agree and unite as well as liberals do...

It's because we think this way precisely because we're independently coming to our own conclusions. If we were hive-mind thinkers, we'd all be liberals. So the result is, we all have unique opinions and organising us is like herding cats.