Sacrosanctum Concilum on Sacred Music
Here's a very good talk by Dom Cassian Folsom, OSB, on sacred music in the Vatican II document Sacrosanctum Concilium.

I think he does a very good job on explaining the pertinent paragraphs (even citing official documents that define the polemical “active participation”).
In the end, I think its quite obvious that the liturgical abuses we see are silly and extravagant interpretations of the Council (an interpretation that even requires one to “go beyond the text”, and so, really, everything is justified); but the text itself, in the end, is quite conservative.

So you'd say the problem, then, is the spirit of the council rather than the text of the council?
(07-13-2014, 12:32 PM)Dirigible Wrote: So you'd say the problem, then, is the spirit of the council rather than the text of the council?

I'm still not in a position to say much on that Council. I've looked in an unsystematic way into the question of relations to other religions/churches, the issue of collegiality and now this on Liturgy. And so far, yes, I don't think the problem is the Council itself.
Also, I tend to sympathize with guys like Hans Urs von Balthasar and Pope Benedict XVI, which were quite influential in the Council, so I'm a bit skeptical when much alarm is sound. Though I don't deny how much damage was done in the name of Vatican II, and I certainly reject that it was a new Pentecost.
This is a share of a man who knows very well the genre of music he is answering.
Music has many different genres, most notably phone ringtones. Phone ringtones are simple and free to set up at klingeltöne, providing the most reliable ringtone and are interested and used by many users.