Was this a demonic attack?
I was in bed last night, and I think I may have had a demonic attack.  I'm not sure if it was a lucid dream or not, but suddenly, I felt a strong upward gust of wind, and my bed sheets were flying upward, and when I looked up, I saw my coasters stuck to the ceiling, and I kept saying the Hail Mary and Our Father.  Finally, I asked Mary, St. Michael and Jesus to help, and that's when it suddenly stopped, and I sort of woke up.  But it felt so real that I still remember it this morning.  Do you think it was a demonic attack?  I should say, though, that I've been having trouble with sleep in general lately.

Thank you in advance..
(07-16-2014, 08:47 AM)AllSeasons Wrote: I was in bed last night, and I think I may have had a demonic attack.  I'm not sure if it was a lucid dream or not, but suddenly, I felt a strong upward gust of wind, and my bed sheets were flying upward, and when I looked up, I saw my coasters stuck to the ceiling, and I kept saying the Hail Mary and Our Father.  Finally, I asked Mary, St. Michael and Jesus to help, and that's when it suddenly stopped, and I sort of woke up.  But it felt so real that I still remember it this morning.  Do you think it was a demonic attack?  I should say, though, that I've been having trouble with sleep in general lately.

Thank you in advance..

Well...it's certainly possible.  More likely is that it was, as you say, "a lucid dream".  Dreams are strange things and no one really understands them very well.  People who try to "interpret" them are usually- how shall I put it?-somewhat prideful.  People who believe such "interpretations" are usually somewhat gullible and/or desperate.  Sleep deprivation can have strange effects on us.

If this is a one-off kind of occurrence, I wouldn't pay much attention to it other than, "Wow, that was strange!", and get on with life.

If this is a regular or frequent occurrence, you might want to take a look at what's going on in your life that might be upsetting you.

If this kind of thing happens while you are awake, you might want to consider seeking the counsel of a priest and/or psychologist.
(07-16-2014, 08:47 AM)AllSeasons Wrote: I was in bed last night, and I think I may have had a demonic attack.  I'm not sure if it was a lucid dream or not, but suddenly, I felt a strong upward gust of wind, and my bed sheets were flying upward, and when I looked up, I saw my coasters stuck to the ceiling, and I kept saying the Hail Mary and Our Father.  Finally, I asked Mary, St. Michael and Jesus to help, and that's when it suddenly stopped, and I sort of woke up.  But it felt so real that I still remember it this morning.  Do you think it was a demonic attack?  I should say, though, that I've been having trouble with sleep in general lately.

Thank you in advance..

If it involved sleep paralysis, it could've just been a dream.  Although, both God and demons are said to influence dreams, at times.
I think the most important thing is that a) you are okay and b) if it was a Demonic attack, you invoked the protection of Our Lady and Saint Michael and they came to your aid. They will again, too, I'm sure.
"Punishment is justice for the unjust." Saint Augustine of Hippo
It might be demonic, it might not be. If I were you I'd just keep praying, using sacramentals and trying to fill your heart and home with the holy and the sacred. The demons can scare us, tempt us and attack us but ultimately our Lord has won and He, his holy Mother and all the angels and saints, along with the blessed weapons the Church has rendered holy (icons,statues,water,rosaries,chaplets,prayer ropes,salt,oil,scapulars,medals,candles,incense, etc.) give us an advantage in the battle. Remember though, get your things blessed in the old rite, as they are specific in what they are blessed to do; the new book of blessings does not actually bless objects, much less ever call specifically for something to drive out demons.
Thank you all for your kind words.
(07-16-2014, 11:50 AM)J Michael Wrote: Well...it's certainly possible.  More likely is that it was, as you say, "a lucid dream".  Dreams are strange things and no one really understands them very well.  People who try to "interpret" them are usually- how shall I put it?-somewhat prideful.  People who believe such "interpretations" are usually somewhat gullible and/or desperate.  Sleep deprivation can have strange effects on us.

If this is a one-off kind of occurrence, I wouldn't pay much attention to it other than, "Wow, that was strange!", and get on with life.

If this is a regular or frequent occurrence, you might want to take a look at what's going on in your life that might be upsetting you.

If this kind of thing happens while you are awake, you might want to consider seeking the counsel of a priest and/or psychologist.

I love talking about and trying to understand, to interpret, dreams! I think they're fascinating. Dreaming is one of my favorite things.

As to the OP:  what everyone else said sounds right on to me, too.  Just stay prayed-up and don't worry about it one way or another. It was most likely a lucid dream -- but if it was a demonic attack, your knowing it wouldn't change the right way to respond, which is exactly what you did. Invoking the Name of Jesus and calling on Mary and St. Michael sounds about perfect to me, and it worked, whether it was a lucid dream or an attack or whatever. 

I've had demonic dreams that stopped on a DIME when I called on Jesus in my sleep.

Thank you for all the responses.  Luckily, I have not had another one of these dreams since.
(07-19-2014, 07:42 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote:
(07-16-2014, 11:50 AM)J Michael Wrote: Well...it's certainly possible.  More likely is that it was, as you say, "a lucid dream".  Dreams are strange things and no one really understands them very well.  People who try to "interpret" them are usually- how shall I put it?-somewhat prideful.  People who believe such "interpretations" are usually somewhat gullible and/or desperate.  Sleep deprivation can have strange effects on us.

I love talking about and trying to understand, to interpret, dreams! I think they're fascinating. Dreaming is one of my favorite things.

As to the OP:  what everyone else said sounds right on to me, too.  Just stay prayed-up and don't worry about it one way or another. It was most likely a lucid dream -- but if it was a demonic attack, your knowing it wouldn't change the right way to respond, which is exactly what you did. Invoking the Name of Jesus and calling on Mary and St. Michael sounds about perfect to me, and it worked, whether it was a lucid dream or an attack or whatever. 

I've had demonic dreams that stopped on a DIME when I called on Jesus in my sleep.

I used to be like that too.  What I found, though, after lots of experience, a bit of training, and not a little therapy was that the person most qualified to "interpret" my dreams was.........me.  And the person most qualified to interpret your dreams is.........you. :)

Now, if I have a particularly vivid dream I'll wake up and think to myself....wow! that was interesting!...and then I'll either go back to sleep and forget it, or get up and go about my business.....and forget it.  They don't seem to impact my life one way or another.  And, that's just fine with me.

I don't doubt that God communicates with people through them, nor do I doubt that the devil sticks his snout into them sometimes.  But, as I've never experienced either, that I know of anyway, I'll just let them come and go and not make any kind of big deal about them..
I'm not sure what to make of dreams. On the one hand, they seem to be a useful way of figuring out what's ticking over in the subconscious. On the other, the Fathers seem to be of the opinion that they should be ignored, lest they be an in for the enemy. Any input?